I never lived on base. Jacob was stationed at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina the 4 years I was doing my undergrad at Western Michigan University. I did visit him on base. I would "illegally" stay in his barracks with him.
I knew living on base was always an option. If Jacob decided to stay active duty that would have been the life I would have lived. That was an option I was open too. I created that opening Sept. 11, 2001. Sitting in a McDonald's booth Jacob let me know he was going to join the military. I told him I was not going to be the girlfriend, at the time, that stood in the way of his dreams. I would be beside him to support him. We both agreed in that booth that we would support each other, and if we really couldn't we would end the relationship. I think in that moment we learned one of lives marriage lessons. You must let each other grow.
We have had those kind of conversations many times. This week it happened again. We are at a crossroads. Jacob's leg injury comes with his unit getting ready to deploy. The question to him was "What do you want me to support?". I would support him if he wanted to take R & R and be done for a while. I would do anything in my power to make sure he was not deployed. I would help him work on his next future move.
Jacob's answer was quick. He wanted to anything he could to be deployed with his unit. So I am full on supporting him, and I will do anything I can get him on that deployment. I will not be the wife that stands in the way of his dreams. And honestly if I dug deep that was the decision I was hoping for. I am mentally prepared for a deployment, his heart has been set on this course for over 6 months. This makes the most sense to pursue at this time.
I am in a pretty good place right now. I guess mentally and physically. I have always dreamed about what it would be like to live on base, and here I am getting to experience it. I ran this morning. Let me just take us on a side track for a second. I packed a small carry on suitcase when I came down here. I packed 3 days worth of clothes. I thought at the longest that is how long I would be here. At a last minute thought I packed my running shoes. My thought was if I needed closed toes shoes to get in the hospital. Because of that I was able to get outside before Jacob woke up and get in a run. I needed that so much. Okay back to the post... I ran this morning. Went all around some of the small, army housing neighborhoods. It was a nice change of scenery, and the neighborhoods were cute. Now I am not one to think living on base has no downfalls, but it was a run that helped clear my head, and helped me appreciate the time I have to be here. I am kinda living a dream.
I can't express how much the messages, wall posts, and texts have meant to us. It was so nice to have the support from our friends and family. The prayers and positive thoughts have created a bubble of peace, and a sense of support that we needed. There are truly no words to express how that can feel.
The last mushy part of this will most likely bring me to tears as I type it. Our love for our friends Jeff and Sara Burden can not be matched. We are so thankful that we can call them friends. They have dropped their own lives to move their small zoo, into our house, with our small zoo, so that I can stay here with Jacob. True friends like them do not come around but once in a lifetime. We are so truly blessed that we can call them friends, and there will never be any way to pay them back. Army families have the pride of calling ourselves with titles like "Army wife", and they deserve the title "Army Friends" and they should wear that with just as much pride. True to my words, I am crying so hard my nose is running, and tears are splattered across the keyboard. Burdens, we owe you so much, and hope that someday we might be honored enough to help you out in someway. We love you, and all of your animals, more than will ever be able to be expressed.
We have a plan to pursue, we have a pretty nice place to stay, and I am with Jacob. I think right now that is all that matters.
1 comment:
No fair making me cry, too! We are so proud to be "Army Friends" and are happy that we've been able to make this experience a tiny bit easier for you both. No repayment is expected or needed. We [and the Zoo] miss you both and look forward to your homecoming! In the meantime, quit making me cry. :-) We <3 you guys!
Post a Comment