Well there you have it. 5 years in a picture. Yesterday marked 5 years since Jacob and I had our church wedding. I spent the morning just getting the house in order, and getting ready for my race.
Jacob got home out of drill earlier than first thought, so he was home by 4. He came home with flowers and a card! It was special. I already technically had my anniversary gift, which was an anniversary band for the top of my engagement/wedding ring. He had wanted to get my rings soldered together, so he had to tell me ahead of time. He picked out a matching band to my wedding band, so it looks perfect. It was a great gift! I had Jacob open his card first, and when he did he laughed. I soon found out it was because he had bought the same card. The card did fit perfectly to how our first 5 years had gone. More on that later.... He has the Harry Potter hard cover box set coming soon. It got back ordered, so it didn't arrive in time. I cooked a special dinner. Now to those who know me, you know I don't cook, so that was a special event in itself. The rest of the night was low key, as we just watched tv and rested. The perfect night for both of us. Well needed!
Now that it has been 5 years, we can look back and learn from our mistakes. Marriage is not easy, and anyone who says differently I don't feel is in a good marriage. 5 years ago we moved in together for the first time, and we had to learn how to live in tiny (800 sq ft) space together. I was finishing my undergrad, and working 3rd shift, Jacob was working 2 part time jobs. Within 6 months of being newly weds we moved our entire lives 14 hours away from friends and family. 2 years into our marriage, and almost at a point we felt like Atlanta was becoming home, I fell very ill. Almost 7 months of uncertainly, and mood swings. It was a test for any marriage, especially one still so new. I went back to school for my Masters, followed 4 months later with Jacob going to school for his Bachelors. We were both full time students, while working full time jobs, and Jacob still in the Reserves. While trying to keep our heads above the water, our relationship was put to the test.
I will not type here about how perfect our relationship is, as that is not true. We have both made mistakes, but the thing about our relationship is that we are both willing to learn from our mistakes, and move forward. We have had to work hard to be at the 5 year mark. Neither one of us gave up, even when it would have been so much easier not to fight for love anymore.
We are where we are today because of the past. I am not one to regret things, and I do not regret any of my actions these past 5 years. I think our relationship is stronger because of the struggles. We have been through sickness, and health, we have been richer, and poor, busy, and not so busy, happy, and sad, but underneath it all I can honestly say our love has withstood it all.
I know when I saw the card, that I bought, it said pretty much that. It is rare when you find a card that puts what you are feeling onto paper so adequately. Then to find out Jacob felt the same way, and purchased the same card. Wow. I think for the first time in 5 years our love is at the same place. This will most likely only last for a while, but we are on equal ground for now.
The best part of the card was on the front it stated: Together Forever. That was the title listed on our wedding slide show, 5 years ago. Sweet love.
Here's to the next 50!


2 comments:
Wow...it is beautiful.An anniversary that is full of love, hope and happiness! We are proud of how hard both of you have worked at this. Dad and I have had 40 years...and it is AMAZING how much a couple can grow with trials and tribulations. We've had them too, but we can say beyond any doubt that love has to be worked on to be called great! We love you both very much! Jacob,Amanda will miss you and so will we!!! Love,Mom and Dad
We love you guys, and we are truly blessed to call you our friends! Congrats on your growth and accomplishments this year! (Lord knows it wasn't easy!) Like you said, here's to the next 50! :-)
Post a Comment