Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For those who want answers

The doc finally called this afternoon. Took enough time. The blood work overall shows nothing. But they think something is wrong. So I am to keep track of everything I eat. Ditto on exercise. Keep a record of symptoms. Call if anything SERIOUS happens. Otherwise another blood draw in a month.

Oh they did say my platelets are low?! WHAT?! REALLY?! Okay if you are new to the blog, check my first post. It will explain a lot of my sarcasm. And then you can check out what we did about it, and then the result.

I am trying to digest all the info. Do I ask for another opinion? Do I really want to know my platelet numbers, as that could lead to no more remission. Do I do what they suggested?

All I do know is I am taking back my life, as I have so many times before from my body shutting down. I am not sure what that looks like, but I did have a fabulous run last night, and a marvelous swim tonight. It might look something close to that.

Thanks to all those who thought, cared, prayed, and reached out. I appreciate it more than I could ever put into words on this silly blog.

2 comments:

Lauren Starks said...

My Friend's Endo Recommendation:

My thyroid doc's name is Dr. Reshma Patel with Piedmont Endocrinology Consultants. There's another female doctor in the practice that is also considered one of the best endocrinologists in Atlanta, but I've never seen her. Dr. Patel has been amazing about listening to me and showing interest. Of course the appointments are short, but my first one was incredibly long considering I was a pretty straight forward case. She also felt/saw what she thought was the beginning of a nodule/tumor and had no hesitation about sending me to get the full ultrasound done. I had to fight the last doctor to get any of that type of treatment. She's also well aware of the fact that "normal" numbers don't mean "normal" for everyone. Thyroid hormones have a pretty wide range and each person's normal is different from everyone else's so she tends to go for a meet in the middle approach between how you feel and function and what the test results say. I hit normal #s after my first medication change, but I felt funny so she upped it again and my #s were at the higher (which in thyroid land is actually lower) end of normal and I felt even better. My prior doc wasn't willing at all to play with my meds like that. She felt that since I was in the normal range, I was fine. So yes, Dr. Patel has been a great doctor for me and I really recommend her. She was out for awhile on maternity leave, but I think she's back now. (404) 367-3210 ‎ The office is off Collier Road, right in the Piedmont Hospital complex.

I'll email you first of next week about late lunch maybe next Saturday! Keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

amanda,

I just caught up on your blog... wow. I am praying for you sister. this is rough and not easy. wish i could give you a hug!

mel