Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Answers!!

Okay so the doc actually called today. Made me wait until 4pm but either way he called. I am in fact going to START the IV treatment next Wednesday the 9th.

Here is what I know....the drug in the IV is Rituxan (I think this is how to spell it). On Wednesday I will go in and they will take my blood to get a base count. I will then be given Benadryll to keep the side effects down. Then I will be hooked up to the IV. The IV drip on average lasts 6 hours. It could last up to 8 hours if the IV has to go slow, if they can make the drip go faster than it could take only 6 hours. I will be allowed to sleep, and eat during the time I am there. It will pretty much just be a long, boring day. Ellen told me to bring a book and a snack...exciting! :) Jacob will be there for sure to have some good 'ol conversation.

The side effects can vary, but Ellen said that she has seen very few people actually have any side effects. I have been told that I won't even feel nausish so I can eat like normal. I am hoping for no side effects!

As for other treatments after this initial treatment....anything is possible. After the treatment we will wait a week and then take blood and look at my counts. If they are high we are all good and I get to be taken off the of the Prednisone! YIPPIE! If they are low...we will try the IV again. Ellen told me that I can only try the IV 3 times. If it isn't working we will know by then. Then we will talk about other options with the doc. Lets not think about that...as I have faith this IV stuff will do something.

I will be on Spring Break next week so I will be able to recover if needed. Once again the Lord had everything planned out, and I was worried. :)

No comments: