Sunday, September 2, 2012

Our First Week

*** This post was a lot more detailed, and amazing the first time around.  When I got to Saturday the entire post highlighted, and deleted in a matter of seconds.... I am angry I have to re-write the whole thing so this version is not as well written...***

One week ago the hospital released Cade to us, and we drove home for the first time as a family.  It was an exciting time, and a time my nerves were on edge.  I had a lot of doubts about being able to make it on our own.  Clueless was a feeling that sunk in deep.  It was as we turned into the driveway, and I saw the Welcome Home Baby Cade banner, and the blue balloons that decorated the house, I made the decision that I would take it one moment at a time.  I have no list, no expectations, just a little bit of fear and hope mixed together. 

But thanks to our family members we have made it a week, and I can even say we have made it through our first day alone. 

Sunday:  "Operation Bring Cade Home" was in full effect.  We had to introduce our 5 four legged siblings, to the new two legged baby brother.  We have fostered many animals so we have introduced our animals to many "strangers".  We had sent home a blanket that Cade had been wrapped in, on Saturday with my mom and sister, so the animals could get a smell of Cade before he arrived.  When we got home we set Cade on the table, and took each animal up to him, so they could smell him.  The cats were more or less not interested.  They saw Cade as another "animal" being brought into the house.  Our youngest dog, Lucie, fell in love immediately.  She became very protective right away.  Lola, our eldest dog, did have some anxiety from all the people around, so she just kept her distance.  She smelled Cade, but then didn't want too much to do with him.  Mom Larkin, and Dad and Gary came over to the house to help us get Cade settled. 

 I survived the first night in thanks to my sister and mom.  My sister slept on the couch, with Lola and Lucie I will add, and my mom was in the guest bedroom which is across the hall from the nursery.   Cade was up at 12:30, 2:30, and 4:30.  Trisha and mom took the first two shifts, and I got up at the 4:30 feeding.  I was able to fall back asleep until around 8, and woke up feeling super rested!

Monday:  Jacob had enough comp time to take Monday off, so it was nice to adjust to our new life with him at home too.  We ended up taking Cade to his first pediatrics appointment.  Our doctor is right around the corner, and fit us right in.  Cade passed his physical, and his Jaundice test came back in the low risk range, so he was cleared!  He did so great while we were there too!  Mom Larkin came over about lunch time, and we just got things in order.  I started feeling very anxious, and went on a cleaning spree.  Dad and Gary brought Pizza over for dinner, and then we decided it might be best for me to get out of the house.  We took Cade on his first walk around the neighborhood.  It was great for me to get out in the fresh air, and stretch my legs.  Cade did great on his first walk!  We were able to get Cade in bed about 10.

Tuesday:  Cade woke at 12:30, and 4:30.  I got up with him for the 4:30, and then fell back asleep until 8.  Jacob was to return to work, and he did go in, but called at 9 to let me know he was heading home.   My mom and I left Cade with Trisha and Jacob, and off to the blood doctors we went.  My counts were 165k, which I have not been at in over 2 years.  The doc was happy with that, but my iron was extremely low.  I was ordered to eat every green I could, and try to force down some red meat.  I am already on iron supplements, so we can't add anymore supplements at this time.  I was instructed I could started weaning off the Prednisone, which will be at least a month long process.  I was happy with that news.  Mom and I ran a few errands, only to be called home because I had a hungry baby waiting on me.   It was Tuesday afternoon, I started to feel a little tired, and I noticed I was not clotting the way they told me I should expect.  Trisha wanted to buy Cade some new clothes, so we made a trip to Babies R Us.  He is a very stylish dude now!  We met dad and Gary at the Cheesecake Factory for Cade's first restaurant trip.  We were able to get Cade to sleep around 10. 

Wednesday:  Cade woke at 12:30, and 4:30 again.  I was starting to get used to this schedule.  Jacob officially went back to work.  We had to get Cade ready at 7:30, as we had to drive Trisha to the airport.  It was hard to see her go, but we have already been Skyping.  It was Wednesday morning I was feeling pretty weak, and called the baby doctor.  After discussing what I was observing, he put me back on the full dose of Prednisone, and he called in a clotting steroid, that I was to start taking three times a day.  The meds knocked me out, almost immediately.  My mom decided she wanted some "me time" so Mom Larkin came in and stayed with Cade and I.  I slept the entire afternoon.  Dad and Gary came by for their last visit.  We were able to get Cade down around 10. 

Thursday:  Cade slept from 10 to 4:30.  I don't mind getting up at 4:30 so I was up with him.  I started feeling the meds working.  The meds were starting what my body should have started on its own on Sunday.  I was happy to see some improvement, but the meds messed with my head, and I felt out of place, and weak.  Mom Larkin came over in the morning, and I slept until lunch time.  After lunch Mom Larkin headed back to MI.  I started having trouble urinating.  I didn't think too much about it, but it began to be a problem.  Jacob came home from work, and we took Cade to our local diner for dinner.  Then we picked up Duane from the airport.  The last grandparent had met Cade!  Cade went down around 10 again. 

Friday:  Cade slept until 4:30 again.  I have to say this extended amount of sleep is not only unexpected, but a blessed surprised.  Jacob had decided to take Friday off too, to spend some time with Duane.  We all just hung around the house. I was seeing signs of the clotting process taking place, but I started to really have some trouble using the restroom, and again I knew something was just not right.  We put Cade down a little later than normal as he was just a little fussy and wouldn't calm down.  He went down about 11. 

Saturday:  Cade was up at 4:30, and it worked out perfectly because Jacob had a 5k race with the police academy that we had to leave for at 6 am.  Cade was just a week old, and he got to experience his first race day!  Jacob did his race, and we made our first trip to Waffle House.  We went to our local WH and the waitresses were super happy to meet Cade!  He is quite a ladies man.  We spent the rest of the day just working around the house.  I guess I should say everyone else worked around the house, I was still not 100% so Cade and I spent most of our time on the couch.  We ended the evening by going to our favorite Mexican restaurant.  However, last night was miserable for me.  The pain going on was making me want to curl up in the fetal position. 

Today: We were able to get Cade back on schedule and he slept from 10 - 4:30 am.  Mom got up to change his diaper, and I was up to feed him.  Then mom and Duane left about 6 am this morning.  I did cry when my mom left.  I knew the time would come that we would be left to our devices, but the last week flew by. 

It is 9:38 p.m. and I am happy to announce that we have had a very productive day.  I was able to catch up on personal and school emails.  We have caught up on laundry, dishes, and cleaned the living room and kitchen.  Jacob hung some pictures, and we framed some new pictures of the little man.  Cade was up and about today. We stuck to a 3 hour feeding schedule.  Jacob and I cooked all three meals at home.  Jacob ran some errands, and I uploaded an album of Cade! Cade is fed, bathed, and in bed!  For our first day I think we stuck it out together, and we made it through in one piece.

I did talk to the doctor today, but because the practice is closed until Tuesday we are trying a new steroid.  I am done with the internal clotting med, which we think did its job.  But now we have the internal bleeding under control, we have to work on my external wounds.  I will be going in to see the docs on Tuesday to make sure we are heading in the right direction.  I am ready to be back to normal, but my body is not healing the way it should.  I can say we are closer today than we were yesterday.  I know I will get better soon enough.  

Jacob has tomorrow off too, so we have one more day of the three of us together, before we brave our next journey, the stay at home mommy. 

I feel blessed with everything we accomplished in the last week.  I feel overwhelmed with how amazing Cade is.  The semi-normal schedule, the extra sleep, his relaxed nature, his easy going personality, and of course the smiles he gives just melt my heart.  I know most parents say they have a great baby but I really think we got one cool dude.   He fits in perfect!

No comments: