I more or less have survived a week of "at home mommy hood". I say more or less because it was technically only 4 days because of the holiday, but close enough.
I am a schedule person. I like to follow a schedule, I like to be on time, I like checking things off a list. When I would say things like this while pregnant it was common for others to laugh a little, and let me know how that will all change when I become a mother. I am here to say that is not entirely so....
When we were in the hospital Cade had Jaundice. Because of this he had to be under the photo lights for almost 24 hours. The nurses told us that we could have Cade out of the lights for 30 minutes every three hours. We only had 30 minutes for him to be changed, and fed, so I was to try and let him breast feed for 5 minutes on each breast, and then supplement with formula. Again, I will blog about my inner unrest on the breast feeding at a later date, but the nurses explained that the formula would help Cade recover quicker from Jaundice, so we did exactly what the nurses suggested.
Jacob set a timer on his phone for every 3 hours, and when the timer went off, we went to work getting Cade fed, changed, and back under the lights in 30 minutes. The three hour timer went off for the last 24 hours that were in the hospital. Now, because we kept Cade in the room with us, and not in the nursery, the nurses had a form that we had to fill out so they would know what was going on. The chart had us track the date, the time, what kind of diaper it was (wet, or #2), and how much he ate.
So when we got home we wanted to continue what was already happening at the hospital. I made my own tracking chart (which I am more than happy to share with others if they want it. It is a Word document, and not fancy. Super easy to help get on a schedule). We tried to stick with the 3 hour period of feedings, except at night. Our goal for nights for him to sleep until he woke himself up, and then we would do the feedings and changings on his term. But during the days we tried to keep to the 3 hour schedule.
I am happy to report we have a pretty set schedule. We are only 2 weeks in. I know most people will not believe this, but I have charts to prove it :) I kept the same feeding schedule the last few days. Cade is still sleeping 10 pm - 4:00/4:30ish in the mornings. Our feeding times take about 30-40 minutes and then about 3 hours later we know what to expect. Because of this I am able to get Cade and myself out of the house, I can plan what we will need, and so far everything is going really well. We can plan for visitors, and we can go places, and I don't have a newborn melting down, and I have no idea why.
But because of the schedule I have found some areas in which I want to improve for the coming week(s). This weekend I spent a lot of time reflecting on the past week and the way our days are scheduled. I need something to do each day. I found a couple times this week just sitting in front of the TV, in a time suck. So I have a few things that I will be adding in this week to help utilize our days together.
1. The TV will be turned off from 11 -3, if not longer each day. I get kind of lonely/bored during the day so the TV was just on as background for the most part. But it will be turned off for a bit, just so I can get used to the silence, and work in other elements, like music, or reading magazines, or books.
2. I have a chart, found on Pinterest, that lists cleaning chores by day, that is says only take about 30 minutes. I will try to stick to the schedule. The goal is to take a room each day, and only clean during the weekdays. No cleaning on the weekends. It is worth a shot.
3. I will cook (WHAT?!) dinner at least 4 nights a week. We have the dinners planned out, we have the ingredients, and all that is left is for me to actually cook them. These are goals.... no promises.....
4. I will begin keeping a food diary. It is no secret that I lost all of my first Chemo weight by joining Weight Watchers. I am still technically a LifeTime member. I have until November to be back under my goal weight which is 138 lbs. I feel good about where I am for being 2 weeks post baby, but I am still packing in the Prednisone, which causes large amounts of water to hang all over my body, and that will hinder my baby weight from "falling" off. I am also not one of those people who thought the baby weight came off with the baby, and when it didn't cried about it. I know it will be work to get back in the shape I was pre Cade, and it may be something I never see again. But I am willing to put in the work. That begins with "tracking" (WeightWatchers term) everything that goes in your mouth. I will begin doing that this week. I am also considering writing up a weekly food diary and posting it for all to see on here. That is a big step, but it will hold me accountable. I have not lied on the blog before, and I won't start now, so I know I will be honest about what goes in.... as sad and depressing as it might get at times.
So I am excited to start our next week together. Cade is a great baby (most of the time), and he has made the transition into mommy hood a much easier one than I had first expected. I consider myself blessed with such a chill little one. I think the Lord knew what I needed to help me flop into this new position gracefully, if that is even possible.
1 comment:
5. Decide where we're going to dinner on Wednesday. LOL.
I think getting yourself some weekly goals together is a good thing. I want to tell you "don't worry about the weight right now - get healthy" but I understand your diet is 'controllable' right now, when your health isn't. Control what you can, right?
Accountability is good - either in person or online. I'm now driving to Ansley at 4:30 in the morning 5 days a week because I have a friend who said, "Look, I'll hold you to your word to be there and workout." Because on my own - just wasn't getting done.
Post a Comment