Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Pinterest Kind of Day

Yesterday I had a Pinterest inspired day.  The day was cloudy, and rain was in the forecast.  Over the weekend I had made a list of all the items I would need to create a few projects that I had found on Pinterest.  My new goal for the rest of the time I am home, which is now only 6 more weeks, is to do what I can to make our lives easier for when I go back to work. 

Cade and I have a pretty normal routine during the week.  He is feeding/sleeping on a pretty consistant schedule, so I know I should get things done in the morning, when he sleeps the longest, and know in the afternoon he will fuss, and not want to be put down on his own.  So I do things that I can do one handed in the afternoons. 

First thing we did yesterday was go to Cade's three week pediatrician appointment.  Our beautiful boy is growing, and is 9 lbs 5 oz now.  He hasn't really grown anymore length wise, but his head is up an entire inch, which I guess is really good.  He is in the 48th percentile, which is average.  That is all we can ask for.  We are watching some of his blood tests, as he showed signs of cystic fibrosis, but upon further investigation, he has no mutations, but might have anemia.  That is sad to me, because I know it comes from me....but honestly if that is it, we can deal with anemia!  He might even grow out of it still. 

We got home from the doctors and I went to work making a blueberry/banana oatmeal bake.  I figured I would be able to make this ahead of time, and then be able to heat it up during the week.  Here is the recipe I found on Pintrest.  I am not so great at this documenting as you go with these projects, and I almost always remembered to take a picture after the fact.  But here is a picture of the bake already scooped up in my tupperware.  I was able to get four 1 cup servings, at 200 calories each. 


** Don't mind all of the other tupperware in the background, that is another Pinterest project in progress....  Also I had the bake this morning for breakfast was pretty impressed.  I ate it almost 3 hours ago, and still feel full. 

Cade and I had a "play date" with our friends Alison, and Henry, so we went and had lunch downtown Smyrna.  Cade has had two play dates now, and he has slept through both of them.  I guess that is to be expected at this age :) 

We had to run two errands on our way home, and Cade got a little fussy towards the end.  Of course the checkout lady at Office Depot was Ms. Chatty with the two people in front of me, so as Cade starts to wail in line, she just kept talking.  I knew I was pushing the limits by stopping, but thought picking up printer paper at 2:30 in the afternoon should have been a quick in and out.  I have learned to expect things to take a million times longer if I am pushing the envelope with his feeding schedule.  We survived, the 10 minute wait in line....

I have been really good about cooking dinner, and thought this week I would try some Pinterest ideas.  So for dinner I made Mini Chicken Pot Pies.  Super easy, and I was able to do it one handed, as Cade refused to sit on his own without wailing at the top of his lungs. It look about 30 minutes total.  We used the regular Grands biscuits, so the calorie count came out to 181 per pot pie.  Jacob hates pot pies, but was willing to give it a try, and he enjoyed them.  I made 8 total, and we had 2 left over. I am pretty sure they will heat up well enough as long as you do with within a day or so.  Here is a picture after we had already eaten some of it. 


After dinner Cade was hungry.  I was watching the news and the weatherman announced that rain was on the way.  Jacob quickly dressed to go out and get in his run as I finished feeding, so I could get out when I was done.  Jacob got to the end of the driveway and the sky opened up, and it down poured.  We just weren't fast enough.  So I had some pent up energy and no way to let it out on the road. 

When Cade decided to settle down enough and I was able to get started, and complete a few of my other projects I wanted to.  I had "created" this first project from a few ideas I put together on Pinterest.  I had found this to-do list, and liked the idea of not using so much paper, but couldn't find the room for a to do list like this.  I loved the idea of a frame, and using Expo markers though.  Then I found this organizer for our weekly menus.  I used it for two weeks, and it was more than I needed.  I didn't like that each week I had to print a paper, and there was no reason for me to list the ingredients.  So then I found these labels, and I started to put everything together....  Here is my end project of our weekly calendar/menu




I have a little bit of a better picture of the end project at the end of the blog.  So it is a plastic frame from Micheal's, and the label print outs under the frame.  Then on top of the plastic I write what is for dinner, or what is going on for dinner.  That way Jacob and I know if we are eating together, what we are eating (so either of us can do the cooking), if we are eating separate, and why.  I put 4 strong magnets on the back, and now it has a place on the side of our refrigerator.   I am hoping to keep this simple, and my thought is after I return to work, whoever makes it home first, knows what ingredients we have for dinner, and what to make. After getting all the supplies this project took 45 minutes from start to finish. 

I still had a little bit of time before our last feeding, so I went ahead and made a customizable, tear off shopping list.  I found the template here.  Last week I had downloaded this list, and customized it for our family.  Then we used it for a week to see if we liked it.  I used it to make the shopping list, and Jacob was able to maneuver the grocery store, and get everything we needed.  So we made a few last minute tweeks and then made 26 copies.  I followed the directions exactly, and here was my ending product


Here is a picture of the side of our fridge. 


So there you have it.  A day of Pinterest.  I am hoping to do a couple more projects this week.  I have supplies to make some coasters, organize our tupperware drawer, and make a cutting board shelf.  We have three more meals this week that will be Pinterest inspired.  I have to admit I was a little weary of joining this Pinterest fad, but I am really using this as a practical website, and do things with what I am "pinning".  I will continue the goal of creating a stress free life, for when we become a family of two working parents again. 

No comments: