Friday, July 6, 2012

We've been busy

Busy can be an understatement.  My mom and Duane arrived last Thursday evening, and the work began right away.  They had driven down in Duane's truck, which was packed end to end.  All of Pat's gifts from Michigan had to unpacked, Duane had brought a variety of tools, mom had her sewing machine, and then of course the normal stuff for when you travel.  We took everything out of the truck and it went straight into the basement, where Pat's pile had grown almost out of control.

Jacob is working 11a-8p right now, so during the weekdays we knew we would have to use our time wisely.  We set out a plan right away.  I was up around 6 each morning.  I got in my walk/run.  We all kind of took our time eating breakfast, waking up, and getting ready, but by 9 everyone had their to do list.  Jacob and Duane worked together until 11, when he had to go to work.  For the weekend, we knew we only had Jacob for a full two days, and we worked really hard.  We worked, only taking a break for lunch, until around 8 at night.  We would end the day to make dinner and eat when Jacob got home.  During dinner we would get the next days plan laid out, then go to bed around 11.  Only to wake up and do it all again the next day. 

To really understand all that was accomplished I guess breaking it down day by day is best.

Friday, June 29:  While Jacob was home we mapped out the nursery, and made a list of items we needed to get started.  This took a while, as it is my fault the room hadn't been painted yet.  I knew I was in LOVE with the orange we picked out.  But Jacob didn't want a room all orange.  So we had agreed to do two colors...but I couldn't decide on a second color.  And that was pretty accurate up until we left for Home Depot.  Our first trip to Home Depot was quite lengthy, but was very productive.  Mom and I painted the first coat on the new cat box.  Duane went to town on painting, and finished the two-toned wall before Jacob got home that night.



Saturday, June 30:  We did a bit of divide and conqueror since Jacob was home all day.  Us girls went and sorted through Pat's items, and started washing anything that would touch Pat's skin.  The boys went for the big haul at Home Depot.  My Atlanta baby shower was in the afternoon, and it was a ton of fun.  Mom and I spent most of the afternoon there, and the boys went to town on the nursery.  When we got back, with a whole lot more for Pat, the trim was up, and the closet had been filled with shelves, and rods.  We put the second coat on the cat box. 



Beth, and Sara did an amazing job with my shower!

Sunday, July 1:  This was the BIG day for the nursery.  The trim was painted first thing in the morning, and we took up all the plastic.  The boys went to Home Depot again, while mom and I brought up all of Pat's items, and started sorting.  The closet was finished, every item of Pat's was unpacked, washed, and the screen door went up.  The boys brought up the dresser/changing table, and the crib.  Since the big furniture was already put together, all that was left was organizing.  During this time the boys were able to work on the basement, in the laundry room and the man cave.







Monday, July 2:  This day left Duane and Jacob to start right away working on the basement, until Jacob had to go to work.  Mom and I went on a shopping spree.  We had a list of what Pat still needed, and went off to spend the gift cards.  We went to the Container Store, Anna's Linens, Babies R Us, and two separate Targets.  Don't get me started on Target, and their return/buying off your registry policies.  Hence, the two separate Targets.  I had a mini melt down at Target #1, and I was not impressed with the little lady who I think was no older than 21 talking down to me.  When we got back home the basement was complete.  Duane then custom made a bookcase for Pat's room.  We went to town putting the finishing touches on the organization (or nesting as Duane called it) in the nursery.  When Jacob got home, the nursery was almost complete.




Tuesday, July 3:  We had a lot of crazy things to do.  Annabell, my parent's dog, had hurt her back paw/nail so we made an early visit to the vet.  Then I took mom and Duane to the blood doctor with me, as we had a few other errands to run that day.  At the doctors my platelets did drop to 47,000.  Because I am lower than 50,000 we will have to do steroids.  Dr. Saleh has a plan.  I will go back the first week of Aug and we will create a "cocktail" of steroids that will shoot my platelets up.  I am not sure what the goal is yet, but I am sure I will become more versed in this as we go.  The goal is to find a "cocktail" that will work, and that will go in my medical files.  When I go into labor I will be given the cocktail, to get my platelets high enough to get through labor.  I am okay with this plan.  I am having a lot of signs of being out of remission, but it is what it is.  After the docs we dropped Duane off at this random stamp place.  Mom and I went to the Congress Center to pick up my race number.  We picked Duane back up on our way through town.  We spent the rest of the afternoon doing just odd jobs.  But the big thing was, the nursery was officially done!!  We got the new cat box up the bedroom, and started to figure out the new layout for the master bedroom. 
The screen door to keep the animals out

Right when you walk into the nursery

The bookcase

The crib

Dresser/changing table

The closet

The cat box is somewhere in this picture

Wednesday July 4:  Jacob had to be on police detail at 4 am, so he was up and out of the house.  Mom, Duane, and I got ready, and left for the race about 6:30.  I have to admit I was super excited to be racing again.  My last race was the Princess half in Feb.  So it felt great to have a number on.  The excitement stayed through the race.  I met up with my friend Lauren, and we stuck it out together.  It was the hot, but the race was well organized, and they had factored in the heat.  I would love to be lucky enough to run the Peachtree Road Race again next year.  Mom and Duane were at the end, along with my friend Sara!  When we got home, we decided it was a holiday and we would take it easy.  Everyone caught up on some sleep, emails, relaxing, and watching crazy videos.  We did go Centennial Olympic Park for the fireworks.  We met the Burdens down there, and had our annual get together.





Thursday, July 5th: Our last day of divide and conqueror.  Mom and I went off to tour The Goddard School, another option for Pat's childcare.  The boys had taken down the side towers in our master bedroom, and moved the bed.  We drove back to pick up Duane after Jacob went to work.  We went out to Walmart, Target, and Home Depot.  The afternoon was spent building a stand for the tv in the bedroom, mom sewed some new curtains, and Duane completed the guest/Pat's bathroom.  The bathroom had been torn apart by one of our first foster dogs, and we had never gotten around to fixing it.  But it is done now.  When Jacob got home we were ready to sit down and do a little relaxing.

Before with the backboard/towers

And after....so much more room
That brings us to today.  This morning mom and Duane were on the road at 6:30.  It is always sad for me when mom and Duane leave.  We are so blessed to have them in our lives, and lucky enough they actually enjoy driving 14 hours for a work vacation.  Jacob is gone at work, and now the house is way too quiet.  It will take a little getting used to, but with only three weeks of my summer break left, I have a feeling I will be able to fill the time, and then feel like I didn't have enough time.  We can not thank Duane and mom enough.  The nursery is ready for Pat.  The rest of our house is in order to make my life easier as a new mom.  It was a super busy few days, but we packed what most people do in 9 months in 7 days :) 

Oh and did I mention I am 8 months pregnant? 

***********************************************************************************

For more pics of the shower

For more pics of the nursery

For more pics of the 4th of July



No comments: