Jacob and I braved another baby class today.
We had to start out our Baby Essentials class with introductions. We had to announce our names, due date, gender of the baby, what experience we had with children, what we wanted to learn in class, and a fear we had. Somehow Jacob and I lucked out and were at the end of the introductions. Yes, we were front and center, so we knew we would be going first or last. A lot of the fears others had were about labor itself, the guys were afraid of possibly hurting the baby, and a few people were worried about the crying of the baby. Then it was our turn.
"I am Amanda, and this is my husband Jacob. We are due Aug. 27. We are having a surprise and call the baby Pat" (every class so far has loved that line, and laughter ensues). "I have experience with elementary school aged children, and did babysit, but that has been quite a few years. I am open to learning anything that will help me not call my mom as much as she thinks I am going to call her. And my fear" (as I have said I am not too much of a worrier, but I think everyone has something they are afraid of) " It comes from this pregnancy dream I had during month 3" (if you have never been pregnant it is common that you dream very vividly, and for me who has never really remembered dreaming ever, this has been a HUGE, and unwanted adjustment) " I was holding the baby in the cradle position and I guess I wasn't supporting the head enough, and the baby's head slipped off the cradle of my elbow, and apparently the neck broke. I am assuming the baby died, and the dream scared me a bit"
Silence in the room. I laugh nervously, because that is what I do when I realize I am in an awkward situation. There was a class clown in the class, who broke the silence, and the nurse/instructor was able to reassure me that we would go over handling, passing, and holding the newborn. Jacob finished up his introduction and first thing we did was pick up our "babies" and learn how to hold and pass the baby, while supporting the neck.
I felt that this class was beneficial for both of us. Poor Jacob is on a huge learning curve, as he is the youngest of the close cousins, the youngest sibling, and didn't have anything to do with little kids while he was growing up. Jacob officially passed his first "newborn", changed his first diaper, gave his first sponge bath, and swaddled his first baby. He really worked hard, and I think he will do great with Pat. I was happy to learn that most things like, diaper changing, bathing, feeding, and burping are almost the same as they were when I took my babysitting course back in the 90's. I did learn a lot more about breast feeding, SIDS, properly passing the baby, swaddling, and crib safety.
I know both of us feel a bit better after today's class. We had a pretty good idea how to get through the hospital stay, but then what? The nurses will wheel me out of the car, and say "Good luck". That next step is what scared us both a bit. I can carry this baby, I can push this baby out, but then.....
Pat is kicking around as I write this, so I feel like he/she is saying take it one step at a time, and we will make it through. Sounds like great advice Pat.
No comments:
Post a Comment