I don't talk a lot about it. ITP that is.
I don't like that I have something wrong with me. I have this "mental problem" about myself. I am hard on myself. I hold myself to high expectations. When I was diagnosed, I felt that I had been labeled with a weakness. I don't want people's pitty. I don't want others to think I am not as capable as anyone else because of three letters.
Because of what I call "my personal mental illness" I don't talk a lot about ITP. When I do it is mostly facts. If I was being honest right now I downplay it. The less people know, the less they will think I am different, or think I need to be treated differently, or worst of all feel bad for me.
Not until recently have I really shared more details with a few people about my journey with ITP. I am proud of myself, and how far I have come. I beat ITP once. Then smacked it to the ground by becoming a triathlete, half and full marathoner.
To beat ITP I had to do six, eight hour sessions of chemotherapy. You are right. ITP is not a cancer, it is not a leukemia. But because of research and clinical studies doctors have found that the same treatments that work for cancers and leukemia, can help those of us with this idiopathic blood disorder. There is not a whole bunch of doctors putting a whole lot of time and effort into studying ITP. Not that we are not important, we are just fewer in numbers.
While attending chemo I met others who were getting treatments for different cancers. Each of them has an unique and amazing story. I was lucky enough to be placed in an arena that allowed my eyes to be opened, and my heart changed by the journey of cancer. Because of it, my mom and I completed the Breast Cancer 3-Day, 60 mile walk a month before I was claimed in remission.
Cancer research is the closest thing I have to research for ITP right now. They do not have a million walks, or runs, or bikes, for ITP research yet. The best bet I have in finding new and improved treatments is through cancer research.
So when I was approached with the possibility of running a charity number through the Chicago Marathon, I was honored. I not only get to do what I love, run, but I get to raise awareness for what the money goes towards when one donates. If you have already donated, you are helping cancer research move towards a cure. The word cure doesn't exist for for ITP yet, but I have hope the closer we get to a cancer cure, the closer ITP will be to a cure also.
I have pledged to raise $1000 for DeterminNation, which funds cancer research. I will then proudly run the Chicago Marathon, on Oct. 7, in a DeterminNation shirt, with a huge smile on my face. I am not to my goal yet, and with my high expectations for myself, to say I am not disappointed, would be a lie. Cancer affects every one. If you are lucky enough to not have experienced this in your own family, I can't tell you how important it is to count your blessings. Actual cancer has affected my family on my mom's, and dad's side. I have lost grandparents to cancer, I have aunts and uncles in remission, and I am not the only one still fighting to this day.
I face the reality of another round of chemo after Pat makes an appearance. This is scary. But I have faith in the doctors and research that has taken place before this time, that I will once again beat ITP.
I am not one to beg for money, but instead of sadness or pity I ask that you take this chance to help find a cure, for cancer...for me. If you would like to donate please visit my page by clicking HERE
If you have already donated I can't thank you enough. Know that you have done an amazing thing to help further cancer research.
If you would like to know more about ITP here are a couple of websites that I think do a decent job on informing the public.
PDSA
Wikipedia
No comments:
Post a Comment