It is my week to see the baby doctor. I have said it before I like my practice, and I have had some great help/experiences there. I really like it because every time I go in, the phrases "great" "good" "alright" "looks great", and my favorite "perfect" come out of the nurses', technicians', and doctors' mouths.
I am competitive. That might be a small understatement. When I do something I will put my everything behind it, and expect the best out of myself. There are times this competitive side can be a burden, but for the most part I think it has helped me achieve the goals I set for myself.
Now I knew nothing of pregnancy before Pat was announced in early January. I was one of the nerds who went home, from the doctors, with a purse full of pamphlets and read them all. I like to be informed. But what I found was that there were no real set in stone rules. Sure, they say you shouldn't have caffeine, but when I questioned the doctor he said a little, or even a medium amount, is okay. Then there is the alcohol, even that in moderation can be okay. That seems to be the game with all of the "rules". Everyone is different. Some can, some can't, for some people exercise is a no-no, for others the more the better.
So at the beginning of this pregnancy I found myself almost floundering. How was I to be the BEST in the pregnant world if there weren't rules to follow? How could I guarantee I was doing the best thing for me and Pat? We all know what the world would be like without rules, and don't get me started on how it doesn't make sense to bend the rules for some, and not others. Between the constant nausea, my fatigue, surprise, and fear I had to figure out a way to navigate the next 9 months.
Well I must be doing something right. Today I was weighed, and I am RIGHT on target. I have two months left, and I have not yet gained the full 30 lbs they wanted me to. My blood pressure is in the exact normal range. My bump is measuring perfect. I should have been a little more than 31 inches. I was 31.2 inches. We are on track for the most part on getting things in order for Pat. We are still lacking in the child care department, but we are working hard, and going on TONS of tours. Paperwork is caught up, we have our hospital tour scheduled, labor classes next weekend, and another baby care class the weekend after that.
So how did I do it? I threw all the rules out. I know, totally not like me. I went with what my body and mind told me was right. I don't drink alcohol, or caffeine very often when not knocked up, so I haven't done it with Pat. I like fresh fruits and veggies so I eat those in the same amount that I did before. I drink water when I want it. I eat snacks when I want them. I have stayed on track with my training, but know when to take a day off is needed. I stayed away from cat litter, except when Jacob is away with the Army, then I am left with no choice. I didn't give up moving/lifting things. I don't think I make it a point to lift super heavy things over my head anyway, so I was safe with that. I napped when I could. I still go out and see friends when I can. I am still doing most of the house work, except vacuuming the couch. That just hurts my back too much. I have to go up and down stairs to my house, and if given the chance, I take stairs over an elevator every time. Oh and I still park at the back of parking lots, on purpose.
I have no guide. I have no close friends going through this journey along with me. I am happy to ask questions when I have them, but I will reserve the right not to listen or follow the guidance given. And I guess I have learned to just listen to my body, and do what I think it needs.
It seems to be working. I know it is inappropriate to fist bump Jacob when the doctors is staring at the measuring tape in awe of how "perfect" I am every week, but I can't say I don't think about it. It is just the competitive nature I have. I want to be the best I can for Pat. I want to be able to look at the other mothers in the waiting room, and say "Yea, that's right! I am almost a perfect pregnant chic" as I slap high fives on my way out. I guess in the future when others come to ask me some advice, I will ask them what do you think is right? I think that is the only way every lady will feel confident with what they did, assuming their number one interest is the unborn baby. I have yet to find myself with regrets, and as I have said before....I must be doing something right!
2 comments:
I think you just wrote yourself the BEST parenting advice you can have...follow your gut. Seriously. You think it's a lot in pregnancy, wait until parenting and there are a zillion books and even more opinions from others...trust yourSELF. God's given you this baby and he will equip you every step of the way!!! Rock on! So excited to meet Pat! ;)
You are perfect, great and sounds like you are doing well!!
Post a Comment