Sunday, June 3, 2012

About the Hair....

So it is out there on Facebook.  My hair is shorter than it has been in 6 years.   I didn't want this to happen.  I didn't plan on it happening...it just happened.  But I must deal with it the way it is.

Last week Friday I went to get my hair cut.  I wanted to look fresh for my baby shower the next week.  I also thought it would be great to have a couple of days to make sure I could style it the way I wanted to.  I had put a lot of thought into when the perfect day would be to get my hair cut. I went to the same place I have the past couple of times.  But my regular lady called in sick, so I just went to the next available.  She trimmed, my then 2 inches below my shoulders, hair to just above my shoulders when wet.  She mentioned to me that she noticed I had layers, and would I like them again.

I did have low layers in the back, and mentioned that to her.  It helps with my thick hair to have layers in the back.  She asked me to look down, and I figured she was cutting a few layers in the back of my hair.  I am won't lie when I say I may have zoned out.  I was super stressed about getting home the next week, I had just received not so happy news from my school, I was just in a bad mood.  So zoning probably did happen.  But I came to when I felt snip of hair awfully close to my right ear.  I moved my head up, and tried not to jump to conclusions.  I don't really know how to cut hair, and I was assuming this chick with the scissors did. 

My sudden move made my hair dresser jump a little and look at me in the mirror.  It was then I noticed that it was not my imagination. She held a large chunk of hair that now sat right above my ear, and fell to the front of my face.  I tried to hold it together.  But she could tell by the look on my face I wasn't happy.

After we worked on our communication, the final story was she heard me say yes to the layers, but didn't realize it was only to be in the back.  She immediately called her supervisor over, and after assessing the damage it was decided the best thing we could do was at least even it out.  As I watched the manager cut the other side, I couldn't help it...I started to cry.  I really did try to hold it together.  I know it wasn't entirely this chick's fault.  I was having a bad day.  I am hormonal.  It was just hair. But when all was said and done....over 8 inches was taken from the front, and a pony tail was out of the question.  The manager comped my hair cut, and I walked out with tear stains on my face. 

I found myself sobbing in the car unable to start my journey home.  I called my sister, who demanded I send a picture to her, as she was sure it wasn't that bad.  When she called back her words were "I have seen worse...."  All I could think of was the baby shower, going home, and having possibly the worst haircut ever.  I had long layers in the back, short layers in the front, and nothing was blended together. 

We made a plan for me see a family friend when I got home, and she promised she could fix me.  For the next days I threw my hair in a head band, and really only left the house twice.  When I got off of the airplane my sister tried to hide her smile, but her first words were "It looks like a mullet".  One of the major problems with my hair, was there was a party in the back, a party in the front, and I wasn't invited to either party. 

Our first stop when I got home was to see my mom at work.  She smiled, and tried not to laugh, but it was written all over her face that it was a pretty bad haircut.  Our second stop was to our friend Amanda's to get this disaster tamed.  It has been 5 days since the chop, so I was pretty much assured that there was no hope in fixing it.  But Amanda is AMAZING!  She warned me to fix it would be to take the length off.  I knew what it would mean.  But she would be able to blend it in, and at least make it look like one hair cut. She did a great job.

 I know it will grow out.  It is taking some getting used to, but I have styled it for the last 5 days, and I am getting a handle on it.  I even allowed a few people to take some pictures at my shower.  One of those is the one below with my cousin.  Without thinking about it she put it on Facebook, shocking a few family members, and friends. 


I think back now and I have to laugh a little bit at at crying.  If Pat wouldn't have been inside me I am pretty sure I wouldn't have cried, but it is all an adventure.  I will post more about my time home at a later date. I have a couple more days here in the mitten, and it is becoming a little bittersweet.  I love being home with friends and family, but know my home is in Atlanta. 

I will go into details later.  So there it is.  My hair is short.... and as always in true Amanda fashion there is an elaborate story that goes along with it. 

No comments: