I love being able to wake up in the morning to watch the news. During the school year I have the news on in the background as I get ready, but I leave the house at 6 a.m. so I never get to see any of the morning shows. I like watching the Today Show. Summer break means I get to watch the Today Show.
But I hate, loath, can't stand to be in the same room when the cooking segments are on. There are two segments. One about 8:50 and another about 9:50. I know this, because I watch the time and will literally leave the room, or completely distract myself during these segments.
I have tried to really understand why I dislike the cooking segments. I guess it comes from my disinterest in cooking in general. I see all of those ingredients on the counter, during the segments, and I think... how long do these people stay in the grocery store? I might dislike grocery shopping as much as I do cooking, so that idea is not appealing to me. I am always overwhelmed by the amount of counter space the segment takes up, sometimes they even have two separate stoves. I think, who has that space? Then of course it is the talking about food. I am NOT a "foody". I know the basics of food, and have no desire to go any further. I don't know what half the ingredients are. Not to mention a large majority of the food they show is not good for you. Don't get me started on how much work it is to find good for you recipes. And the whole reason I dislike cooking is how dirty everything gets. I have OCD, and it is EXTREME in the kitchen. I get upset when I think about these chefs going into the "cooking set" having everything already purchased for them, all placed out in the right order, and then the best part, they walk away and someone else cleans for them. Maybe if that was my reality I would have a different feeling about cooking in general.
I will blame my dislike for cooking on my jobs I had growing up. I started working at a pizza place when I was 14. Soon after that I started working at a local burger restaurant where, depending on the day, I may have cooked the food, prepared the food, cleaned up after others, or waited tables. After working there 4 years I moved to waiting tables at Steak N Shake, where I lasted almost 4 years. I did officially wait on tables, but I was a trainer, and worked 3rd shift so I knew how to cook almost everything on the old menu. When Jacob and I married, and moved to Atlanta it was the first time I wasn't working in the food industry. And that was when I was happy never to go into the kitchen.
Sometimes I let myself feel a little bad for my disinterest. I mean after all I am going to be a mom very soon, and that is the mom's job right?! I am to cook my family dinner. Well I guess I am super lucky, because Jacob is well aware of my hatred towards cooking. And once again I must have hit the jack pot because he is more than willing to cook, and go grocery shopping most of the time. He likes making things by scratch, and experimenting in the kitchen. I am not a picky eater so I will eat anything he puts in front of me. I guess we make a good pair.
This morning I tried to force myself to watch and actually listen to the cooking segment at the 8:50 slot. I hated every second of it. They were making homemade pizza, and I thought to myself, Jacob makes an amazing homemade pizza I don't care to watch this. Oh, and the mess they made. The news anchors are really the ones who make the mess. It just makes me mad. They just laugh about it. I am like...pick up after yourself you slob. I will now admit that during the 9:50 segment I went to the kitchen and cleaned it, until I heard Kathy Lee's voice come over the speakers, as my all clear to go back into the living room.
So this blog really has nothing to do with anything, except I feel a little better I let out how much I hate cooking. Sometimes as a women I feel like we are to hide that fact....but when have I ever been one to hide anything.
1 comment:
Right there with you girl!! I don't like cooking. I wouldn't go as far as to say hate..I actually have been known to enjoy it a FEW times in my life when I have like NOTHING else going on, but in the pace of normal life, no way. And yeah, I used to think "I'm a Mom now, I need to start cooking"..well I have since learned that we as Moms do the best we can to feed our kids nutritious meals (and ourselves as well) but actually cook for the family? Not a CHANCE until the kids are older. My line frequently is "I can either work, or I can cook", I really believe it to be true. And I've finally quit beating myself up for it! ;)
Post a Comment