Well believe it or not one year ago (technically yesterday) was my first 8 hours of chemo. At this point I was so tired I could barely get out of bed, and had no energy to do anything. I think I had only gained about 18 pounds at this point ( I ended up gaining 30 pounds total by the end of all of the chemo). Mom and Dad Larkin had come down to make sure I (and Jacob) survived the first round. I remember thinking how cool the chemo room was. It was brand new, even the TV's weren't set up yet. I was given the three different pre-chemo drugs, then I just fell asleep. I woke up with the machine went off to tell the nurse (nurse Kathrine who I had through all 8 chemos. She was absolutely amazing!) to try a new speed. Because I was so tired the nurse checked my bracelet, to make sure I was Amanda Larkin, and then began the new speed. Within minutes I felt awake enough to ask for a snack. Before taking a bite I knew something was wrong. I could feel my throat literally beginning to close. I could hear my phone ring (which later I find out my dad felt something was wrong and tried calling). Jacob reached for the phone, and I grabbed his arm. All I had to do was look at him, and he ran to the nurses desk telling them something was wrong. Three different nurses came over immediately but by that point I felt as if I were breathing through a clogged up straw. My blood doctor was called out, and they immediately choose to stick me with the antidote. My throat quickly began to reopen, and as my mom-in-law said color began to return to my face. The antidote is a strong narcotic and man was I flying high. Jacob and Dad Larkin had to go get me another vile of the antidote, in case of another reaction, and I just floated off into dreamland. The rest of the treatment is a blur. Well make that the next two days. Chemo wiped me out. I was exhausted. Now one year later...I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I am still in short term remission and hope to be placed in long term remission in June. July will make it one year since my last chemo. I took a total of 8, 8 hour chemo treatments. They did get easier as my body got used to the meds, but it was still a time in my life I was so tired, mentally and physically exhausted. In a year I have been able to lose 35 pounds (30 of it I had gained in three months from the Prednisone). I am healthier than I have been in years. I feel like a normal energetic 25 year old. I have been able to bring a new energy to my classroom of 24, 5th graders. I feel like I am finally the wife I was meant to be, and the mother to all four of our animals. I know the girls appreciate the many walks I have energy to make now. I can't believe it has been a year. I can truly say "what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger". This was an experience in my life I will never forget, and truly be able to learn, and grow from. Below is a recent picture of me and Simon!
No comments:
Post a Comment