I have learned that continuing to run during pregnancy is not for the weak hearted. I do not mean that women could not do it. I am saying if you do not have the determination, or a strong will I can see where one would really struggle.
If you were to see me out running here is what it would look like:
My shirts/tanks are a bit tighter than they used to be. I have a round belly in the front. I wear a support belt that wraps around my back and under my belly. I wear a fuel belt, with plenty of "fuel" and water. I carry my mace in my belt, with my cell phone sometimes. I am still wearing the same shorts, but that won't be for much longer, due to the stretching elastic. Sunglasses, Garmin watch, Road ID, shoes, and headband are all the same.
For some the picture above is an inspiration. I have people come up to me while I am out, and just pat me on the back, give me high fives, and shout great words of encouragement. I have had women wave, and give me thumbs up as I run past them, while they are driving by.
On the other hand, there are people who avert their eyes, give me a look of disgust, and my favorite are the people who verbally speak out about how much harm I am bringing to myself and my baby.
I have had intense, and lengthy conversations with my doctors. I have done my own research. I have talked with women who were, and were not active during their pregnancies. I do not run because I am selfish. I run because that's what my body has been used to for the past 3 years. I would be doing myself and Pat a dis-service by stopping my runs. I watch my pace, my water intake, the weather, my heart rate, and make sure I am fueled as not to feel faint or tired. I have never put so much energy into my runs. My number one concern is Pat.
I will say the negative comments outweigh the positive on most of my runs. The people who are closest to me, know that running is the best thing I can be doing for this baby and me. It is the people who are not so close that seem to have comments. I shrug most comments off, but I could see if someone was not as stubborn as myself they might falter into the misconception that running is ALL bad. I understand there are women who can not run, and the doctors suggest not to participate in extra activity. I promise everyone who still reads these silly posts when that time comes I will listen to the doctor. I will morn, as activity is part of my life, but I would listen.
I guess I would just ask that if you are one of those people who might find themselves judging, to give the benefit of the doubt to the pregnant lady who is carrying up to 40 extra pounds. I am up to 15 extra pounds and I can feel it, when I am out there. I just wish I could wear a shirt that says "Yes my doctor knows I am out here"
Since I have had a habit of ending my last few posts with a side note I will do the same here. During my Saturday group run a member of my running group Get Fit Atlanta, collapsed. Because of my proximity I was one of the first 5 people to her aid. What I witnessed was an off duty paramedic stop on the side of the road, with his kids in the car, jump out to help with chest compressions. I watched a coach of our group work alongside with him to keep Mari-Lynn alive. As we waited for paramedics I watched Mari-Lynn leave this world twice. This is something that will take a while for me to process through and might never get out of my mind. I also was lucky enough to see a large group of Get Fit members running to the site, and working together. Mary-Lynn had emergency information on her, and because of that we were able to call her husband, and give the paramedics her blood type, and allergies. Cobb Fire, and the paramedics were amazing. The fire team was able to use the defibrillator to get her stable enough to survive the ambulance ride to the hospital. I know many Get Fit members have been there to visit her.
All that being said I will use this as a chance to plead my case for all athletes to carry some kind of emergency information on them at all times. I personally have a Road ID that is always on my wrist, and a shoe tag that is filled out. Going out with others, or at least being in an area that others can see you is a pretty big must too. Because Mary-Lynn was with a group and in a populated area she received help within seconds of collapsing. Most athletes know where to look for some kind of emergency information, so carry it. Last I heard Mary-Lynn was stable but still in ICU. Prayers for her and her family are always welcomed.

No comments:
Post a Comment