Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"I'm just pretending it isn't happening"

This title comes from Jacob this time.  Let me help put this into context.

I am making small progress every day with this idea of a baby inside of me.  I have officially picked out what will be nursery bedding, I guess.  Of course the only set I fell in love with was an online order only, so I finally broke down, and ordered a crib sheet.  I wanted to make sure I was really, really in LOVE with it before I went ahead with decorating the room around it. 

The crib sheet arrived, and in fact I was MORE in love with it when I saw it in person.  So Jacob and I came to the conclusion that this was the set.  With that decided we had to start thinking about colors for the room.  As I talked with my mom I made it clear that I could NOT screw up colors for this kid.  I can't even put an outfit together, so I was seriously rethinking my abilities to decorate a room.  But slowly I came around to wanting an orange (you have to remember we are doing everything neutral) wall, or walls.  A trip to Home Depot left us with a gallon of "Acorn" paint, and the dreams of getting this room painted before the last week in June. 

Then this week my mom, sister, and mom in law all worked together to get a baby shower date set.  We have a location, Trisha has come up with a theme, and now a date!  Then I was able to get my list of addresses and guest list sent up to MI.  I am proud of that.  It takes a lot more than one thinks.

I had a pile of "baby" stuff that had already been given to me.  I finally sat down and wrote out a list of things that should be returned to the owner after this is all said and done, and a list of thank you notes I needed to get out.  I just sat with all the items around me, and took it all in.  I sorted, and read a lot.  I really have no idea what any of this stuff is, so I had to read about exactly what I had. 

Then when Jacob came home from work I was ready and waiting for him.  I had all the pamphlets and papers siting out.  It was time to decide what prenatal classes were necessary, which could wait, and which ones we did not think we needed.  I had already picked my top three.  Well, we both picked the same three, so I got online and signed us up for childbirth class, baby essentials, and a hospital tour, all before August. 

When I had placed the last class into google calendar I looked over at Jacob and said "Well, I am making small gains everyday.  I am proud of myself." 

That is when he just looked at me with a scared look on his face, and said "I am glad you are the one doing this stuff now.  I'm just pretending it isn't happening."  That is when we both started to laugh.  We talked about how it has been nice that as one freaks out, the other remains calm. Then as the time comes for the other to freak out, the other one has come to terms with it, and can stay calm.  This has been one up and down journey.

--> On a side note I think I felt Pat kick, or move.  I had Simon, our middle cat, on my lap, and he was purring like crazy.  I felt this feeling like someone was swimming past me really quickly and I felt the water from that person inside me.  It happened so fast, one can not be 100% sure, but since no gas came out, and it didn't really hurt, I am like 80% sure that it was Pat. 

1 comment:

laughterismedicine said...

I bet you're right about feeling the baby move.

And, I think you'll find that as you are parents you will balance each other the way you already are. Kevin and I often have days where one of us can't stand the sight of the children and the other one takes them and gets away so the other can breathe. I like that you're finding that already. Sounds bad but trying to keep up on the honesty with you.

Nicky McCleery