Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I cried over a fish tank.....

This post will go through two different events, but one overlapping theme.

Last week Wednesday teachers had a workday. That means teachers go in, attend meetings, and finish a LOT of paperwork. Then we have to get our rooms ready for the summer. Unfortunately it is not as easy as just closing the door. Jacob had set up a fish tank. I mean with fish, real plants, and a lot of time consuming responsibilities. I have had a fish tank in my classroom since my first classroom, but this year was the first with real plants. Real plants bring the responsibility up big time. Because of my time constraints Jacob has taken care of the tank, especially this year.

Well he is leaving so it was decided with everything else I will have going on next year, taking care of a classroom tank will not be one of them. He came to take it down. I had to go to a meeting, so when I left my room there was a thriving tank, when I came back it was gone. A large, blank empty space left on my counter.

I cried.

I hated the fish. I only did it for the kids, and Jacob. I don't like doing water changes, I don't like remembering to feed them, I did not like the idea of putting my hand in the water to cut back plants, I did not like having to worry about them over breaks. I disliked the fish. And yet I cried.

Fast forward to today. I had a super busy day, and left the house at 9:30 to come back at 5:30. When I left today our 75 gallon tank was a thriving ecosystem for Jacob's fish. When I got home, the tank was an empty blob in the dinning room.

This time I didn't cry, but I am aware that these all of a sudden empty spaces are stirring a lot of emotions. I am spending my time a lot more wisely, and I know we only have the most of our summer in front of us.

The hope is that he will get the tanks back up and running, when he returns, but until then all things fish will be stored in the basement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only have 6 days left of my first year of teaching! EEEP! I just can't believe it. I have no fish tank to cry over, but I will be weeping on my students heads, the first loves of my teaching life.

have a GREAT vacation! <3 mel

Amber said...

Amanda... I can't imagine not having my J around... thank you for all that you and Jacob do!!! :)