Saturday, April 10, 2010

Just another reminder

There are times that I just look at our house and wonder when we will get on top of it?! By that I mean, actually get some curb appeal, and work in the front yard. That brings me to the back yard where we need to pull out the old garden boxes, repaint and touch up the back porch, install a retaining wall, plant actual grass seed, fix the fence, ect. Then don't even get me started on the inside where we need to repaint, replace the wood floors, a new living room set would be nice, we need a new tub/shower in the master bath, a new front and back door, and I could seriously go on and on. I get so frustrated sometimes when I hear and see other friends who have done AMAZING things with their houses.

I think to myself, why haven't we done that much with our house. We are going on year two, and we still don't even have curtains in the living room. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Then just about the time I am almost at tears, can barely keep a steady breath, because another break has come and gone and nothing on the house to do list is completed, Jacob sits me down and asks me to take out my calendar. I muster a small laugh, and say my paper one, or online, or the one on my phone? He says that should remind me well enough, but we take out my nicely divided out monthly calendar that I have color coded. He asks me to take a look at last month. He asked me to find ONE day that didn't have at least two items written on it. EASY, PEASY I think to myself. And yet as I search, and then look over it again, and then really slowed down to look at each date individually, it dawned on me....we are not getting anything done because we don't have any time.

I know I have talked about this before, and I try to act like I love being busy, I am all good. Which right now I am. I am all good. I like my schedule right now. But my schedule is for me, not my house. At this point in my life I am living in a livable purple house. Yes, the puppies did a number on the hard wood floors, but they are walkable, they are not falling apart, there are no holes (that I have found yet), so seriously they don't top my average to do list. Yes, another break has come and gone, but overall I can state it was a very great break. I am going back to school refreshed, and relaxed. I finished some homework, got two foster dogs adopted, had time for friends, and almost got through a whole novel. That to me sounds like a great break....

I just needed another reminder.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Aren't our husbands great? Always there to keep us sane and prevent hyperventilations. :-)

laughterismedicine said...

Don't feel too bad, it took us nearly 5 years to do ANY painting in this house. :)

Allie said...

Oh my goodness! I know what you mean! Sometimes, I feel like I need a done list more than I need a to do list - so all those times that I get down on myself for not doing enough, I can pull it out and be reminded!