Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A scary night

Well hello everyone. I am writing to you at noon on a Tuesday. That can only mean one thing...I am home from school! Yesterday I had a pretty scary experience, but let me start from when I think it started...

Saturday morning I woke up and my throat hurt a little bit and I felt a pressure in my face. So I am thinking it must be a sinus infection. So I get up shower, take some meds, and then tutor. I do pretty good for the rest of the night.

Sunday morning I woke up feeling like poo. So of course I think....again I must be getting sick. I took some meds and went off to work in the kindergarten room at church. I couldn't get this horrible pressure from the front of my face to go away. Instead of staying for church, I drove home and went straight to bed. I slept the entire day away, and then got up to eat some soup for dinner. Jacob was very concerned and wanted me to call in a sub. I finally agreed, so I went to my plan book, only to remember I was having my final observation. So I tell Jacob I would get through Monday and then stay home on Tuesday.

So Monday morning I got up feeling pretty good. I didn't take any sinus meds until 10:00, while I was teaching Math. This was also the time that my observer was to come in and observe me...which he never did. That just made this whole ordeal so much worse. Around 10:45 when my kids went to lunch, I noticed this horrible pain that was like slicing the top of my head off. I tried to find a teacher to cover my class for the last part of the day, but everyone was busy, and couldn't and cover, so I just kept plugging away. I had my kids doing seat work in hopes to get some sub plans put together so I wouldn't have to come in Tuesday. Around 2:00 I got up to talk to the class, and the pain was so SO bad I remember putting my hand on my head and closing my eyes, and then I don't remember anything. I didn't fall, but I slipped onto on one of my kids desks who sits in the front of the room. One of my kids ran next door and got a teacher friend of mine, and she took my class. I told her I was going to go home, and she was like "you are not driving, call Jacob" So I call Jacob and try to make it to the front office (it is about a 3 minute walk from my classroom). I made it up there, only to collapse when I get there. My Vice Principal sat in the workroom with me as we waited for Jacob. The pain was so bad I became nauseous, and couldn't sit up straight.

Jacob finally arrived and wanted to take me to the hospital. All I could think of was sitting in the ER all that noise, and getting sick, and I was like just take me home. I fell asleep for a an hour and a half, and when I woke up the pain was worse than ever. That was when Jacob told me to call my friend Krista and see if she could take me to the ER. He was in class, and would leave as soon as he could.

I am completely blessed with my friends. I call for one, and three of them show up. Two of my friends came to pick me up, they put the girls away in the their kennels and took car of the cats. I was taken to the ER (which is the best ER I have ever been in) and I was pushed through pretty fast as I could barley stand up straight for any longer than 30 seconds. I had an EKG, x-rays, CT scan, and blood work. I was then hooked up to an IV and put on some strong pain, and nausea medication.

After all of that, the docs can not figure out what is wrong with me. Everything came out clear, so I definitely don't have sinus infection. The major good news is that my platelets are completely normal so I right now they can't find any correlation between this and ITP. I am at home with some Vicadin, and orders to stay in bed and rest. I have to make an appointment with a head doctor and I will be contacting my blood doc too.

I feel a bit silly going to the ER over a head pain, but like Jacob said he would have paid any amount to find out at least it is nothing major. The doctor did mention something about possbily reacting badly to a migrane. I guess we will just have to wait to find out. At least we know it is nothing major. We would have just sat here and wondered. I am trying to eat normal again, as I have eaten nothing but toast the past 3 days. I am relaxing and actually writing this while still in bed. My head is not in nearly as much pain as it has been. I am thinking about starting back to school with at least a half day tomorrow. I just can't sit still for too long.

Again I need to give a huge shout out to my fantastic husband. He does so much for me. I mean he knew I wasn't 100% when we married, but he puts up with more hospital visits than any person should. I love him more than he will ever be able to grasp.

I hope everyone is doing well. I will keep you all up to date as best as I can. I am doing so much better! The sun is even coming in my room, and my head isn't about to explode at the thought of it. Everyone keep well!

No comments: