So after trying to get my feet into my running shoes, and not be able to slide half of my foot in, I sent a text to a running buddy. I just let her know I literally couldn't get into my shoes, so I wouldn't be joining the group for our Saturday run. It was Beth who then wrote back something sweet, like get better, and then followed it up with "make sure to wear your compression tights". DUH!
I am a flippin' runner, who was dealing with what comes down to bad circulation, and I hadn't thought about the world of compression. Runners will use compression tights, arm sleeves, and/or calf sleeves to help with circulation after a tough workout. The compression helps beat gravity, and push blood around, which aids in the recovery of the muscles. So HELLO! Why wasn't I utilizing the world of compression to help fight the swelling? I have a pair of actual comprehension tights, but those were out of the questions as we are in the high 80 degrees each day.
Off to Big Peach Running Company I went. The poor girl who was helping me, just felt pity for my super swollen legs, but was able to measure my calfs, fit me for some calf sleeves, and keep a straight face as I struggled and broke out in a sweat just trying to get them over my elephant cankles.
Sunday brought the perfect time to try them out. Jacob and I were up early to go and cheer on Sara at her second triathlon. As a spectator I was going to be on my feet most of the morning, and I was up to the challenge. And the sleeves worked!
I have worn them each day of school, and I know it is helping. All the swelling isn't gone, but there is a huge difference in what my feet looked like at the end of the day. At first I was worried about not looking professional, and then I thought "I am doing this so I can keep teaching, people will just have to understand." So I rocked this outfit on Tuesday
I will leave this blog with a small follow up from the last one. I can tell you my prescription for Prednisone remains unopened in the back of our bathroom closet. My visit with the baby doctor yesterday left me with a spinning head. He let me know he will not induce unless I am at 120,000 platelets. So I have low platelets because of Pat, and I can't be induced because of low platelets. I am just stuck in a circle of crazy medical problems at this point. My baby doc also let me know he has never been through a labor with someone less than 50,000. I swallowed my response of "There is a first time for everything" Baby doc was in favor of me starting Prednisone immediately.
They took my counts yesterday and apparently I am back up to 51,000. The message from the doc today said hold off on the Prednisone. I jumped for joy, and have been gloating about it since 4:30 this afternoon. I secretly know this count was probably a fluke, the doc doesn't want me back until next week. We will retake counts and reassess... I am not going to let them know what my instinct is telling me. I mean I am listening to the doctor... holding off on the Prednisone....

No comments:
Post a Comment