Friday, June 24, 2011

Race Run Through

My next race is the Chattanooga Riverfront Triathlon.  Here is the write up:

This sellout intermediate distance triathlon has quickly become one of the top races in the southeast. Brought to you by Chattanooga Track Club and Team Magic in the heart of downtown Chattanooga. Be ready for a fast, down river swim, a challenging bike course and a scenic run along the city's riverwalk. Chattanooga is a great place to bring the family too!

Race Distances - 1.5k swim / 42k bike / 10k run 
                             (0.98 miles/26 miles/6.2 miles)

If you are interested you can check out more info here.  To say I am getting nervous is an understatement. 

One technique that I have used in the past, to get ready for a race, is visualization.  This is just where I walk through what the day is going to look like, and the steps I will do.  This morning on my bike I went through the whole day.  

I will wake up at 4:30 a.m.  I might eat an Emeralds Breakfast at this point.  We are staying really close to the transition area, so we will most likely walk to transition at 5:00.  I will get in my Get Fit Tri suit, and all of my stuff will already be packed in my tri bag.  Once in transition I will set up my area, and then become familiar with where we bike out, and where we run out.  I will eat a chocolate marathon bar.  If possible I would love to dip in the river, but because of the current I am not sure if that will be possible.  I will grab my goggles, swim cap, and a goo.  There is transportation to the swim start, so I will say goodbye to Jacob, Sara, and any other peeps I know, and get on the bus around 6:45.  

I will take the goo about 7:10 if possible.  This swim is different that any other I have ever done.  Not only is it by FAR the FARTHEST I have ever gone, but they drop each athlete off the end of a dock with 5 seconds inbetween.  The first go around 7:30.  I am a SUPER SLOW swimmer so either I will go first, or last.   I will guess I will be last.  Either way when I get in the water, I will slow my heart rate by doing a little doggy paddling, and when I am able begin my own version of free style.  I can see myself finally getting to the end of the swim and doing a fist pump like my friend Jen Ridgley.  I estimate at the LONGEST it will take me 1 hour to finish.  

I will get out of the river and run up the stairs, hopefully see Jacob and Sara, and get to transition (T1).  I will drop my goggles, and swim cap.  I will grab a shot block, put on my sunglasses, bike gloves, socks, and slip on my shoes, in that order.   I will grab and put on my helmet, then unrack my bike.  I will walk it to the mount line, and off I will go.  Jacob and I drove this route, and challenging is a nice way of putting this route in the foot hills of the Appalachian Mountains.  I will downshift heading on the on ramp, go out to mile 12 on the highway, turn around, and go back to transition.  I hope to eat my shot block in 2 sets.  3 blocks in each, at mile 4 and mile 17.  I will grab two shot blocks, in case I need more.  I hope to finish one of my water bottles which will have 1/2 G2 blue in it.  I will have both water bottles available however.  I will dismount right outside of transition (T2) and run my bike in.  The absolute longest I think it will take 2 hours to bike this route. 

I will rack my bike, throw off my bike shoes and helmet, and slid on my running shoes.  I will consider a head band, depending on how my hair is holding up in the ponytail.  I will take a goo and shoot it, and then take one with me.  I will run out.  This run goes down by the river and there should be water almost every mile.  I want to start out at a slow jog, get my legs together, and only walk through water stops.  Very similar to how we ran our marathon, but a faster rate.  I want an 11 minute mile.  At the longest it will take 1 hour and 15 minutes to finish. 

I see myself finishing strong, and not looking down at my watch but just pushing to the end.  It makes for an awkward finish picture when you are looking down at your watch and not up, smiling.  I see myself finishing with a smile, and maybe a bit of a sprint at the end.  At the longest I think it will take me 4.5 hours to finish.  I have to finish by 12:30, which is 5 hours from the first people being dropped in.  

Time limits can freak me out, but the times I have listed here are at the longest..... if I am super slow, or something goes wrong, or I panic.  I am one of the slower races, but I figure at least I go out there, and finish.  

As I keep training, for this race is only 16 days away, I will go through this run through every time.  Not only does it keep me distracted from all of the training, but I believe it will help me have a great race! 

2 comments:

Lauren Starks said...

One thing I like to do is to check last year's results and see how those look. Sometimes I download to excel and do some great things with averages/etc. Even if I anticipate that I'm the "last" person in each group, I have a better idea what to expect.

This worked great in Augusta

Jen Ridgley said...

Ha ha - just saw the comment about me (didn't show up in my google reader when originally posted because of the font color). Hope you did your fist pump! I was thinking about you while on the bike and when I saw you out there I knew you made it! Congrats on the race today. You looked great! Tough course and hot as hell. Great job!