Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Small Town of Zeeland

I grew up in Zeeland, MI. It is a city, a small one, which has a lot of country, and a lot of farms. I grew up in the "city". The quotes are needed because this "city" has one block of downtown, everything closes by 5 p.m. on Saturday, and nothing with in the city limits is open on Sunday. Until just a few years ago, there could be no alcohol sold. With so many stipulations, such as businesses can't be too close to a church, or school, only a few places can even sell. When I was here there was a blinking red light with in the limits. So for most people this place is a time warp, or even a culture shock.

I had a decently big graduating class, because Zeeland is the school district for the surrounding smaller farming communities, which are not cities, some are villages. Zeeland has even added a second high school, because of the growing numbers. There were around 200 of us who graduated in 2002. If I was given a list of the graduates I would know at least 90% of them. So still pretty small town.

Growing up in a town like Zeeland has its pros and cons. I think leaving Zeeland, has helped me appreciate my upbringing. I can come back here and remember all of the fun memories. Riding my bike everywhere, beginning at age 10. Roller hockey in city streets, running around town until the street lights came on. Most of my memories are of running around outside. Seeing kids outside is something that doesn't happen very often in Atlanta. It might be the new generation, or it might be just growing up in a small town. I did live a pretty carefree life, and I do have a lot of great memories.

But sometimes when I come back home I am reminded of why I felt the need to move somewhere else. Living in a small town, and working in one of the only restaurants downtown, made it so people know who I am. Rumors can be started quickly. I actually wasn't victim to this until I left for college. Unfortunately some people actually believed the rumors, and to be honest I didn't care enough at the time to come back and try to stop the damage. But I was brought back to high school behavior, when a "friend" from high school, who believed the rumors, saw me at a local sandwich place. I was going to walk up and say hello, but she saw me, picked up her sandwich, she was already eating, and left out a side door. Pure rejection in my face. Small towns can be narrow minded.

But I guess I shouldn't loop the entire small town in this way. Most of my step-dad's family lives here, and a lot of real friends. I have had lunch, ice cream dates, dinners, and coffee dates with many others who saw through the lies, or just don't care very much. I have to remember a lot of my friends from high school have decided to settle down, and are working on raising families here. And really I think that is a great idea. Their children will get to experience life very similar to my upbringing. I think of Zeeland as a great place to have grown up. It can be hard coming home because of the way some people look at me. I moved away. I am most likely never coming back. That is a hard thing for some to understand.

But I guess I have to remember it is not the small town of Zeeland that I am afraid to confront. It is the few small minded people who just happen to be here. Overall I am happy I chose to come back for two weeks. I haven't been back for longer than 3 days for 9 years. That is a pretty long time to stay away. But having withstood my ultimate fear of rejection, it wasn't so bad. I am not afraid to run into people I knew...which happens anytime I leave the house......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

middleville is a village and yet i totally had a stoplight!!