Saturday, March 5, 2011

De-stress

Every doctor that I have seen since January, has said one thing. Find a way to relax. Reduce your stress. De-stress.

I get it. I heard it. I logically understand what that means. But apparently I can't get control of that part of my life. I have been hearing the same thing for two months. I can't sit here and type out that I have been doing it.

I think about. I then proceed to stress about how to de-stress. Then I become frantic that I am stressing about de-stressing. You get the picture.

So today I think I finally got it. It totally helps that I have a husband who has stepped up as my partner in life, and really takes care of most things related to the house, and living arrangements. Not to mention he now sees my water bottle empty and will get up to fill it, he won't allow me to do the dishes, and he insists I not get up to help with laundry, or even think about picking up some groceries. So yes, this has helped a whole lot. I used to worry about all of the above, plus everything else I got going on.

But the past three weekends I have worked hard not to bring any school work home with me. That way I don't feel guilty if I don't get time to do it, and really I can leave school and know it will get done on Monday if it is meant to get done.

Last weekend I was so sick with my fever, I didn't get out of bed. So in my mind, I didn't get anything checked off my endless to do list, so I fretted about not doing anything. As relaxing, and stress free as a weekend of laying in bed should be, I just couldn't wrap my brain the fact that it should be stress free.

So yesterday I left school, and left all my school work there. I got my room ready for a great day on Monday, and then left it all behind. I had in my mind I was going to do whatever happened happen. No real plans, no big lists to check off. Now I always have general things I would like done, but I wasn't going to write any of them down. Last night Jacob had the hard decision of if we were going to go to see Harry Potter (it is playing at our favorite dollar theater), or watch Finding Nemo at home. I just told him, he could decide. I would be happy either way. We ended up watching Nemo at home, and I was able to get caught up on some of my fitness magazines I had become behind on. It felt like a great night.

This morning I woke up without an alarm, and I read in bed for while. Jacob began to stir, and I asked him if he wanted some breakfast. He did (which is a chance with him, as sometimes he just doesn't want to eat in the morning), so I made eggs, and waffles for breakfast in bed. It was lovely. We got up and around and went to run. By the time we drove out to the trail, it was raining too hard to really go out. So we drove home, and just started cleaning around the house. When we got done, we had cleaned both bathrooms, the kitchen, dinning room, and vacuumed the living room and master bedroom. We went out to Sprint, to fix my phone which had unexpectedly broken. Now I could have freaked out. The phone actually broke Thursday, but I could text, and if it was an emergency people could call Jacob's cell. I just didn't freak about it. So off to Sprint (which ended up being almost a 3 hour adventure when all was said and done), during the wait time we bought new trash cans for the kitchen, and ate a relaxing lunch at Subway. We stopped by Best Buy, and then Target, just picking up some random items we had coupons for that were expiring today. We got home put away and organized all of our new items. Jacob went to get some dinner, which was Little Cesar Pizza, he was craving it. I had organized my old purses, and wallets, so we dropped all the old stuff off at GoodWill, and then went ice skating. HA! It was great fun.

Now I am in bed ready for bed, and I am thinking how relaxed I am. I feel like I accomplished so much today, and with no stress. I got more done today than I have on any given day in the last two months. I had no plan. I laid around this morning longer than I have in a long time. And yet I feel like today was awesome. I may have finally figured out what this whole de-stressing idea entails.

**Now there were some health problems today, but I am not thinking/giving them anytime of day right now. I am basking on what a great overall it was!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like. :)

Anonymous said...

YIPPEE! This post made me smile Amanda, I am so happy you have Jacob in your life... I can't wait until I find MY Jacob (fingers crossed^^). Love that you appreciate it.

praying for your health. hugs.

mel