A teacher friend once told me that teachers are lucky because we get two new years. We get the Jan. 1 New Year like everyone else. Change the date, change the year, new start, new goals. But teachers also get an August New Year. We change the school year, start a new class, and set way too many new goals.
I have been setting up my classroom all week. I have been getting to school around 9 and staying until 3ish. Every morning I go in with a to do list, and work on getting through my ADD tendencies and stay on task, then leave with a shopping list, and a plan for the next day. I had some lofty goals at the beginning of the week (one being only going in Mon-Wed), but small set backs will have me retuning yet again tomorrow (Fri). However, when I do leave my room tomorrow afternoon, at what I hope is early afternoon, it will have me in a really good place. I have almost all of my bulletin boards done, the room set up, my desk organized, all Teacher Editions found, and the big closets cleaned and organized.
We are scheduled to have 5 straight days of pre-planning. Normally we have a schedule of when the meetings are, and a general idea of how much time we will be allowed to work in our classrooms. But we haven't been given an agenda yet for that week. That scares me a little bit. Last year we had 4 days of pre-planning and a total of 6 hours scheduled for work in our classrooms. We have 5 days, but that doesn't mean we won't have meetings all day long.
My biggest fear was that I would leave for Florida with a lot to do in my classroom. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my last little bit of vacation, because I would be thinking about the work I had to do when I got back. But I feel really good about how I will leave my classroom. As for some new (some old) goals I guess I should post them; it might help me keep them:
**In no particular order
1. Keep current on lesson plans
2. Work out at least 4 times a week
3. Keep current on grading
4. Stay on top of my classroom management (Larkinville)
5. Leave work by 4 everyday but Tues
6. Keep an open mind while dealing with my team
7. Represent my grade level well at Leadership meetings
8. Stay positive and only allow one gripe a day
Okay that is a lot! I like goals, and have high expectations. I have read a blog of a friend who updates her readers on her goals periodically. I will try to do that but no promises.
Jacob and I leave for 5 days in Florida on Wed. I can't wait. I will try to write before we leave, but no promises.
No comments:
Post a Comment