Thursday, July 15, 2010

Can't keep me down

I am almost back to full force. I think if you can make it through the entire 24 hours after "grafting" you are out of the hole. I had a very eventful 24 hours....

I took another vicodin about 5pm. That was the 6 hour mark. I had eaten a little bit of soup, and a bagel thin. I decided to finish this carton of blueberries we had in the fridge. Jacob left for class a little after 5, after making sure over and over again I was okay. Then at about 5:30 I started sweating. I have super thin blood, I never sweat. I was in the basement, that is already chilly, and I had a fan blowing to keep air circulating. I was sweating like a mad woman. I couldn't make any sense of anything. I started stripping off my clothes and I just kept sweating. I mean sweat dripping off my head, my knee pits were dripping, my elbow pits were dripping. I knew somewhere in my head I need to get upstairs. I grabbed my phone and started making my way to the stairs. When I got up I completely blacked out. I know the basement, so I knew where I was, but I didn't know where I was.

I fell twice trying to get to stairs. At this point all three dogs were licking me like crazy, I was literally dripping. I can not express that enough. I still had my phone in my hand, and I was really trying to decide if I was going to call 911. I could hear Ginny whining, and she was really close to me. Lola was right next to me, almost trying to help me gain some stability. I finally felt the stairs and made it up. I started regaining my sight towards the top of the stairs, and so I thought, I just need to get to bed, and lay down. I blacked out and fell again on the hardwood in the living room at some point. I awoke by the fireplace, and got back up. I was so dizzy and could barely crawl to the bed. I thought who to call??? My friend Krista's name stuck out. If she was home (she travels a lot) she would be the closest. I called her, and she said I wasn't making any sense. I was slurring my words, but I got out sick, and something is wrong. She instructed me to unlock the front door, and lay down, she would be over in 10 minutes.

I gained enough strength to start towards the front door. I was going back and forth between seeing a little bit of light, and seeing nothing. Still sweating, I started feeling like couldn't breath, or swallow. I unlocked the dead bolt, and when I reached for the door knob....I knew I was going to puke. I started running towards our bathroom (I had to get through the living room, through the bedroom (which has new tan carpet) and then to the toilet). I didn't make it....I upchucked bright blue (hence those blueberries) all over the new carpet, the walls, the doors, the bookcase. And I will just say it wasn't once.

But believe it or not, when it was all done I felt so much better. I called Jacob and he wanted to leave class, but I told him Krista was coming over, and I was seriously feeling so much better. I called Krista, and she said she was going to stop for some soda, and crackers. I laid down on the bathroom floor and realized I was literally covered in blue. I slowly started to clean until Krista arrived, and yelled at me for cleaning.

Needless to say I felt so much better after that whole episode. Krista hung out for a while, and it was good to catch up, even under the circumstances. Jacob and I are both so thankful for having good friends who will drop everything, and come to help.

By 8 p.m. I was already laughing about it with my in-laws, and feeling so much better. After talking to a couple of people I am pretty sure it was the vicodin that did that. Either I overdosed, or it was just too high of a dosage at one time. I seriously have never been that sick, and it came out of no where. I am so thankful for Krista. I could have done it on my own, but it is so much easier when you have a friend.

I wanted to be up and around to run yesterday morning, but after reading some more post-op literature it said to rest for 24 hours. So I hung out in bed all morning, and relaxed. But yesterday afternoon I was back to normal, well almost. I have some bruising on the inside of my throat, so my vocal cords are horse. But I am used to losing my voice so that is no biggy. There is also some swelling, but as my friend Sara said, you have to really know me to see it. I lucked out this time, or at least so far.

I went school shopping with Sara yesterday afternoon, and went to an adoption event in the evening. I also got in a 2 mile run last night. I actually had one of the best 2 mile run I have had in a long time.

This morning I got up and ran 6 miles. It was a rough 6 miles, but it felt so great. Well I will just have to remember no Vicodin next time, and I have to brave it through the first 24 hours. But even this will not keep me down!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh....the blueberries....so sorry about that! On the plus side, it makes for a GREAT story! So glad you're feeling better. I'm fairly certain that if it were me in your shoes, I'd still be curled in the fetal position on my couch. Sara + pain = not good. I am a giant wimp. You inspire me. :-)