Sunday, July 13, 2014

Facing Toddler Fears

After the day we found out we were expecting. every day there seems to be some new experience.  Surviving morning sickness, avoiding stretch marks, heartburn.  Then once "Pat" arrived a whole new bunch of experiences.  First bath, feeding, sleeping through the night.

I remember my fears of traveling with Cade for the first time, then flying with him for the first time, then flying alone for the first time.  All of Cade's firsts were first for Jacob and I too.  And that doesn't stop once they are out of the infant phase. 

June was full of toddler firsts for this mom.  I am such a planner, that I seem to think of every scenario possible for each event.  Then I try to figure out solutions for every possible outcome.  Needless to say I normally stress myself out way more than the actual event ends up being.

We took Cade camping for the first time.  Yes, in a tent.  Yes, sleeping in sleeping bags.  Yes, we picked a site with no electricity or water.  Yes, Boo was only 22 months old.  And you know, it was fabulous!  Jacob and I have camped for many years previous to Cade.  We have all the equipment, and actually enjoying going out there.  And to be honest our tent has two rooms, and screened in porch.  We "rough" it.  Due to life in general Jacob and I hadn't been out in the tent in almost 3 years.  We were both ready to get back out there.  It seems natural to us to just bring Cade along.  But while sharing our summer plans with many teacher friends it became apparent that many others thought camping with a toddler seemed less than a relaxing vacation.  We stayed right on the water.  We went for 3 days, 2 nights.  We hiked during the day, and visited a local beach.  We spent time as a family, something we don't get to do very often! 

Boo helps set the tent up

My boys

As long as Cade has some cars he is happy anywhere

Enjoying the water by our site


In June I also faced a large fear of my own.  I made a 15 hour car trip with a 22 month old, alone.  We made the trip back home to Michigan in two days.  Cade, once again, did great.  He did get fussy each day, but who can blame him?  I mean, you would get sick of being in the car too if you were straped in the way toddlers are now.  We spent 10 days in Michigan and then made the trek back to Georgia.  Road trips alone are fine, but I would welcome adult company anytime! 

The morning we left! 

We ate at least two meals each travel day at Cracker Barrel

The latest fear this mommy has faced has been converting Boo's crib to a toddler bed.  Cade has only tried to get of his bed a couple of times, and we only need to go in there and put him back once and he goes to sleep.  And what is it that he goes to do when he gets out?  He is caught reading, every time!   When he wakes up, he gets out of bed, and goes to the door and knocks on it.  How cute is that?!  Once again all of my fears were nothing compared to the actual event. 

Exploring his new bed
So what can I take from all of these firsts that we all have survived?  To relax and let happen what will happen. 

Yay, right.  That isn't part of my personality.  Ha!


No comments: