What is on my mind today?
Meat.

I am a rule follower. The doctor gave Jacob and I a chart to help introduce solids to Cade. It tells at what age, how much, suggested foods, ect.... I was given a chart, and so I follow it. Jacob and I decided to skip the "rice cereal" phase, personal reasons. But besides that I stick to that chart. It has not lead us astray. Cade enjoys two ice cubes of a fruit with his second bottle, 2 tbs of yogurt at his third bottle, and two ice cubes of a veggie at dinner. We are successfully weaning off the formula and are down to 25 ozs, which is right on par with the 24-28 ozs he should be taking each day, according to the chart.
But now the chart says next week we are to start two tablespoons a day of some pureed meats. Meat. My family and close friends know I don't like red meat. My mom tells a story of she only ate steak twice when pregnant with me. Both times she was violently ill. The second time was not even 24 hours before she went into labor with me. Apparently, I hated red meat back then.
I grew up in a house that we ate what was served to the family for dinner. I dated a guy whose family ate (still eats really) steak on a regular basis. I ate what was served. I can eat meat. I don't have any religious reasons not to eat it. I grew up around farms in which the cattle were sold to be butchered. I don't have a problem with the cows being raised to kill. I know all of the benefits of red meat. So what is my problem?
I don't know. I just don't like it. I don't like the way it feels. I don't like the way raw meat smells. I don't like to hear it squish. I don't like the colors of brown and red mixing together. Just thinking about it has caused a thin line of sweat to form across my forehead.
Oh yes, your memory serves you right. I worked in two separate burger joints, for a combination of 8 years. Maybe I am mentally strong for a couple different reasons....
Anywho. So the chart says we start red meats this week. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this. Jacob eats red meat. My family eats red meat. Friends eat red meat. Why can't my son?
I don't know.
I will be honest, I will most likely be pureeing red meat this weekend in preparation for next week's meals. I said before I am a rule follower. What the chart says will most likely happen. But dang. I didn't ever think I would get so much anxiety over something that seems so minimal.
I can't wait for next week. Chicken week. Chicken week can't get here fast enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment