Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Learning Curve

People, heck strangers, have a lot to say to me, or any other mother for that.  I guess they feel like they have some sort of "right" to "help" me through this journey we call motherhood. 

I will be the first one to admit I had have no real idea what I am doing.  Take for instance our new journey to cloth diapers.  Our initial thought to try gDiapers was to help the environment.  Then the thought of having a diaper pail really grossed me out.  I had a nightmare of Lucy, our Jack Russel, getting into the pail and chewing open the dirty, poopy diapers all over my couch.  Needless to say I cleaned the couch three times when I woke up and the idea of this disaster has stayed with me. 

The idea of cloth really freaked me out too.  I hate dirty things, and poop is very dirty.  I gag easily, and have been known to vomit from poopy situations.  So the idea of scraping poop off of a piece of cloth, made me gag.  So we came up with a hybrid.  A cloth outside, and a disposable inside.  I mean you take out the middle and flush it.  Genius. 

Many people felt that we wouldn't like the gDiapers.  Yes, I had some people tell me this.  I mean while looking at them at Babies R Us I was told by a stranger that it was the biggest waste of money.  When I asked "why", she said "Why would you want to do cloth when they make plastic?"  I mean really?!  Well then, of course, your thought process seems well thought out, and caries a lot of evidence.  Oh well...

So back the this whole cloth ordeal.  We ended up with a lot of disposables, because I had diaper cakes at my showers.  So we used them.  We had newborn ones which were great because Cade's skinny hips wouldn't fit in the gDiapers yet.  Then we moved into the size 1's and we had a whole lot of those in disposable.  And then we ran out. 

We had plenty of gDiaper inserts, and we had 4 cloth diapers to get us started.  So we thought, here we go.  And away we went.  The first insert we flushed clogged up our plumbing, and Jacob had to go in the basement and take apart some pipes to get the swollen insert out.  We kept at it.  Every wet diaper Cade had he somehow leaked out.  So we went through outfit after outfit.  Then we had our first poopy diaper experience with the gDiapers...while in Babies R Us.  We changed his diaper in the backseat of the car.  It took both of us, we had to change even the cloth part of the diaper, and there were moments Cade was more upside down than laying down.  But we managed.  And honestly ended up with some side aches from laughing so hard. 

Then while looking up gDiapers online we noticed all the pictures of the babies in the diapers had the big G in the back....Cade's G was clearly in the front....

So parents of the year award won't be sitting on our fire place anytime soon, but we are all turned around, we have practiced the flushing (and swishing which is what you have to do to make sure it doesn't clog your pipes), and we have had fewer blow/leak outs.  And you know what?  We actually like the gDiapers.

The one thing I can say is that this past weekend had more laughter in it than we have had in a long time.  Jacob and I laugh, sometimes really hard, at our ability to have no idea what to do in many incidences.    Cade is whole new realm to us.  Neither one of us ever thought we would have an infant that depended on us.  Every experience we have had in the past 12 weeks had been new. 

We are still learning.  And I don't mind the learning curve.  Will Jacob and I do everything right?  No way.  Actually not even close.  We are making up rules, and rituals as we go. 

 We have no idea what we are doing.  We have no idea what will come next.  We actually haven't figured out what his cries mean, even though according to every other mother she knew within two weeks.  We encourage him to speak loudly, and kick constantly.  We make him march to the beat of music.  We pretend we are having intelligent conversations with him. I mean he wanted to discuss the vice presidential debate in detail. Who else has a 3 month old is doing that ;)  Sometimes we let him stay in his pajamas all day, and other times we let him go with out any pants on.   We encourage him to pass gas.  I let him hold my finger while he drinks from his bottle.  I let him snuggle into my neck when he is so sleepy, he resists sleep. 

We don't know if what we are doing is right, but what we do know, we have one awesome kid.  Cade is super laid back, sleeps through the night, charms the ladies at daycare, appreciates his sibling animals, loves to watch Law and Order SVU with his mom, and rarely cries.  Are we doing the right thing?  Who knows?  Is Cade one of the happiest babies I have ever met?  He sure is. 

No comments: