Sunday, October 2, 2016

Time Marches On

It took a second for it to register what I was watching. I had been with Lil' Boo doing this same thing many times before.  But for some reason this time my brain took the time to process what I was really seeing.

Boo was in front of me on the stairs, and he was taking them one at a time.  One foot on each stair.  I am sure I had a look of confusion and slight awe as I watched my now 4 year old son walking up the stairs like an adult.  No more two feet on each stair.  One foot.  One stair.

I started to wonder how long had this been happening? Was this the first time?  The way he did it seemed like he had always been doing it.  Then I had to ask myself why hadn't I noticed before.

It was one of those moments where you just realize time marches on.  Although there were days when he would be a few months old, screaming his lungs out with this clueless mommy at the helm that I would wish for him to be just a little older, be able to communicate with me, but did I want this?  All of a sudden in what seemed like a few months time he is climbing stairs with one foot on each stair.

Being blessed with the birth of this sensitive, creative, book-loving boy had me in a place of fear and feeling unfit.  But what I found was motherhood is a whole lot of guessing, going with your gut, and mistakes.

Seeing him walk up those stairs in such a mini-adult way not only made my heart happy but re-instilled that I have a little body that I am in charge of, and I am doing an okay job.

I think it is every parents goal to remember that the moment we are in will only be for that moment.  I am glad my brain registered what I was seeing, if only for a few seconds.

No comments: