Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wife/Mommy Duties

Friday night I made a decision not to do my group run Saturday morning.  If I am in town, not busy, and Jacob can take Cade, I am always at group run.  I love running and I love running with my friends.  But I did a long hard look at what was important and really I came face to face with my new priorities. 

These past 4 weeks have been whirlwinds.  We had family here for the holidays, I went back to school, Jacob had drill, I had a race weekend, we finished refinancing our house, Jacob's schedule has been adjusted, I have had after school commitments, and last weekend we made a quick trip to Florida to visit Cade's Great Grandmother and Great Great Grandmother.  As I wouldn't have missed out on any of these events, they shook our schedule, and our nerves, to a breaking point.

I am a very selfish person.  I like to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, and I hate, really hate, it when my plans get messed up.  I knew I was like this, I know I am like this.  I knew this was going to be a battle I would fight over and over again once Cade was born.  This past month forced me to make rethink what was important.  But not the kind of important I used to have.  Now I have to think what is important for Jacob and Cade.

I had to cancel workout plans.  I had to leave work way before I was done, to pick Cade up on time.  I had to cancel/reschedule plans with friends.  I had to go to bed with a house not up to my par, because it was way later than it should have been anyway.  I went without lunch meat,  because Jacob and I ran out of time to get to the store, and when we only remembered wipes and formula. 

So when looking to the weekend, I knew I had way too many things on the mommy/wife duty list to get done, and fit in my workout plans.  At first I really contemplated it.  I mean working out helps me get through life.  Working out helps me stay married, and  helps me stay calm around the Cade babe. But the time it would take to drive there, run, and drive back....I just couldn't give up that much time this weekend. 

So this weekend instead of running I did the dishes, 5 loads of laundry, vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen, made our weekly menu plan, cut coupons, made a grocery list, went to Babies R Us (which is still one of my personal he**s on Earth), uploaded pictures, changed 16 diapers, fed 8 bottles, snuggled more times than I can count, found Cade's newest talent which resembles the Hulk, and had a little time left over to spend with my husband. 

I didn't get any exercise in this weekend, and in the back of my head I hear that small voice telling me I am lazy, and I will never lose the weight that still hangs on my hips.  But the much louder chant is telling me I am a good wife and mother for making the decisions I did this weekend.  We will all have a much better week because of one small decision.  And being a great mom and wife is a pretty sweet title to have.

**I want to give Jacob a shout out here.  I am one lucky lady to have him as an amazing partner.  He makes just as many decisions and sacrifices on a daily basis as I do.  This weekend he painted our living room and hallway, changed all of the outlets and door knobs, went grocery shopping (which is one of his personal he**s), he does bath time/bedtime routine with Cade every night, and took his turn with Cade babe when needed.  I know he would much rather be playing some computer/video game, be at the shooting range, or watching a movie.  Jacob if you ever do read this I am lucky to have you, and so is Cade!

No comments: