Being a teacher puts me in an interesting position to observe parenting. On average I have 24 different types of parents/parenting styles a year. I have seen over the top over protective, to not even know what their kids are doing after school. As a non parent I know I have had my opinions. I have a pretty big feeling as I become a parent I will continue to have opinions.
I just don't want to be a crazy parent. This past week I have had my fair share of crazy situations. I will not go into details, as I gave up way too much energy towards the situations this past week. I truly believe that each parent problem I come across, they feel they are doing the best thing possible for their child. Love blinds all, I guess.
My biggest concern in having Pat, is the parenting aspect. I guess because I believe that it is the parenting that helps guide the child through life. To me it is almost as essential as Maslow's basics needs of safety, food, and shelter.
In the world of children there is little adults/parents can really control. Fight as we might, as soon as children start walking, and thinking on their own we have lost almost all control. But parenting is the one thing I can control, and in that I feel it is the small control that we, parents, can hold on to.
I have taken a lot of classes on children development, psychology, and children management. I have been raised by my own set of parents. I have seen/heard a million different theories on parenting. I have watched the Dr. Phil show. I have had my fair share of parents give me their amazing (I am using a very sarcastic tone here) pieces of advice. I joke with Jacob that I am taking parenting notes from show like Hoarders, and Intervention.
I know there is no manual. My journey will be different than my mom's, my sister's, my next door neighbors', and my best friends'. But that being said I am not delusional in feeling like I have a plan. I have no idea what this world of parenting will bring. I have no idea if I am ready, my real bet is I am not even close to ready.
But I am feeling more confident each week, about this journey. Jacob and I are still not ready, and scared, but we are not ready and scared together. In that we will forge forward on this new adventure.
But please, please, please feel free to step in if I become a crazy parent.
No comments:
Post a Comment