I had talked a few of my running peeps into running the Chicago Marathon in 2012. I had dinner with my good friends, we call ourselves the Amber group (long story behind that), and at least three of us were in.
I mean, I LOVE Chicago. The race is in October, plenty of time to ramp back up in mileage. It is in the fall, and we all know Savannah was the best race I have ever had, so I figured let's have the best marathon ever. It is flat. My dad and Gary live there, all I had to pay was the travel up there. And I had friends who were in for it.
I had thoughts of training with the Amber girls, I was super excited about being able to run with friends, and I just visualized a fabulous race.
The race opened Feb 1. My friend, Lauren, had made sure I knew the date. I was ready. I was going to sign up. Then the registration fee....$150. That is a hefty price for a marathon, and a really hefty price for someone who has supporting her, and her family for they past 7 months on a teacher's salary. I kept thinking....the army will pay....they will pay....they will pay.
Feb. 1 came, and the Army hadn't paid. Jacob and I have had to give up a lot while trying to make ends meet. One of the things I gave up was not to sign up for any more races until the money hit the bank.
Beth let me know Tuesday, the 6th, that Chicago had sold out. I held it together in person, but when I got on the car after my run I broke down. Beth and Lauren have a number. I do not. Come to find out other Get Fit Atlanta people had also signed up. There are quite a few people going to this race, that I had dreamed of.
I am trying to understand everything happens for a reason. But it will be very had to have all my friends go to the race I am pinning after, and me be left behind. I guess I will plan on going to cheer, and hold back my tears on actual race day.
There is a light somewhere out there, I just haven't been able to see it for a couple of days.
No comments:
Post a Comment