Saturday, April 9, 2011

I am a beach kind of girl

I was given this piece of wisdom from my good friend Jeff while I was pouting (yes, truly pouting) about having to leave our Spring Break vacation to Anna Maria Island, Florida. This thought had not really crossed my mind. But I am. I love the idea of being barefoot, walking through sand, I am somewhat of a sun worshiper, I love the way the waves sound, and I like living an island kind of life style.

So when Jacob's sister-in-law Michele asked if we might be interested in spending spring break on an island. Well let's just say there was not a whole lot of arm twisting on my end.

Jacob and I left last Sunday around 7 a.m. We dropped our girls off at their hotel (which I would recommend to anyone in the area). And off we went to the gulf coast. The island is part of "the other Florida keys" in the Gulf Coast. It is about a 9 hour drive from Atlanta. We got there in time for some dinner with everyone. Jason, Michele, Jackson, Emma, Sue (Michele's mom), Jeremy, and AL had all arrived earlier. It was so great to just relax out on a balcony, and enjoy some family time.

Monday morning brought a beautiful weather forecast. I couldn't wait. I also wanted to enjoy the weather, and coast with morning runs. Up and out Jacob and I went. It was so wonderful. Since the island it not very wide, we walked out of hotel and you could go either right or left. Behind us was the bay, and in front of us was the gulf. Seriously so AWESOME. We ran out and right along the Gulf of Mexico coast. It was a glorious run. The rest of the day was spent on the beach. Emma, and Jackson had a lot of people to play with them.

All of the adults (minus Sue) went out for an hour on some Jet Skies. The water was pretty choppy, but it was so much fun. When it came to meals Jacob and I would pick right or left, and then walk until we found something that sounded good. It was a life I had always wanted. Within walking/biking distance of anything you could need. LOVED IT. We also found time to go Miniature Golfing at a very nice 18 hole course. Each night we hung out until late into the night, and then walked to our hotel.

Tuesday morning when I woke up I could see it was dark out. I had hoped to get a run in before the predicted thunderstorms, but that didn't happen. The storm was coming in, so we opened up our hotel door, and enjoyed the tropical storm. It was predicted to last until early afternoon, so we got ready and braved the wind to go over to meet up with the family. We all went over to the next island, and after some lunch we tried to get into the aquarium. Apparently everyone thought the same thing, being such a rainy day, so that was a no go. Just too long of a line. On our way back Michele thought about a nice little nature hike area, so we stopped there. It ended up creating a lot of memories. The rain had stopped and the weather was perfect for a "hike". We ended the day walking on the beach as the sun set, enjoying an adult dinner at a fancy, but not so fancy (really, really long story) restaurant, and another walk on the beach in the dark. We ended the evening earlier than the others as it was just a tad too cold for me on the beach. I am a woose. I will admit it.
Wednesday brought a beautiful morning, and a great run. We all ventured back out to the beach, and I soaked it up. I did feel the water with my feet, but it was too cold. I was happy to hang out by the chairs, read, and make sure no one stole any of the kids toys. The three brothers all took out a small catamaran, and some how came back in one piece. The day was literally wasted away on the beach, and I loved every second of it!

We left the beach late afternoon, and Jacob and I took out some bikes to get out and about on the island. We botched up a plan to meet the rest of the family for ice cream, but enjoyed a walk out on a pier. The birds there were totally used to people. Totally crazy.

We finished the day on Jason and Michele's balcony, chatting and visiting with the family. It was just the perfect way to finish the vacation!

Thursday morning we all met at a cafe on the beach. Literally on the beach. We ordered some breakfast and tried to make time stand still. What a beautiful ending to our vacation. We got in the car and drove back home to land locked Atlanta.

What a great batch of memories. We have never been on a family vacation with the three brothers and their families, but I don't think this will be the last time. It was so great!

I am a beach girl. Going on a vacation such as this just reminded how badly I miss being close to water. This trip was great to spend time with family, and truly relax!

The sun is setting on my spring break. I have one day left and it is back to the grindstone. The positive part is we have only 6 weeks left of school, and then I am on summer break. The sun sets in one area, but it will always rise in another....

Here is a link to the other photos if you care!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am TOTALLY a beach girl too sister! I grew up in the wrong state/I now live in the wrong city!!!