Thursday, June 10, 2010

T.V. Time Suck

I get into this time suck during the summers. I get home from doing whatever (which happens to be interning until about 3pm every weekday right now) and then I just want to quickly relax and so I turn on the T.V. Then I find the T.V. just stays on. Sometimes I am productive...other times not so much. I finally organized the nightstand by my side of the bed, and found out I have 19 books I on my to read list. REALLY?! Why do I allow myself to mindlessly watch the T.V. and not go outside and enjoy a good book, or better yet actually get outside and get a little extra training in for this tri that is in 15 days. So I am writing a new goal down on here right now. I am totally into the habit of watching T.V. while getting ready for bed, getting ready for work, and then when trying to fall asleep. What happened to me reading before bed every night?

We moved a T.V. into the bedroom two summers ago. Until that point I swore I would NEVER put a T.V. in the bedroom. There are too many studies that says it is bad for "bedroom behavior" and it makes it takes away the special get-away feeling a bedroom should have. But then came chemo. I didn't want to get out of bed, some days I literally couldn't have gotten out of bed. I had insomnia, but too weak to get out of bed. So that was the turning point when we put a T.V. in the bedroom. Then I just got more and more used to having the noise on, or just keeping it on as I get ready for almost everything.

Now I find myself just putting it on because it is there. Now mind you we have a radio, and an iPod player in the bedroom and living room (where I can say we don't have T.V. for various reasons). When did I become so into this T.V. time suck? I am semi-disgusted with myself as I write this. Well, while reading a magazine article it mentioned that publishing goals electronically help people stick to them. So here and now I am placing myself under new rules....

Everyday I will only allow the T.V. to be on for 2 hours.

Yikes! Typing it out is scary but I am so ready to stop this time suck. I will put an end to it. When I get time I might even move this stupid T.V. back out of the bedroom. Lets start with one goal at a time. Keep me to it. If you see me, or are on Facebook, ask me about it. Keep me to this. 2 hours...

1 comment:

laughterismedicine said...

Way to go, girl! We use ours almost exclusively for kids shows anymore. You'll be amazed at how you don't miss it, after a while.

Good for you!