I know this letter will find you extremely busy, and you represent all of the people in the United States, so let me introduce myself. I was born in the 80's and went to school in the 90's. The economy was strong and although my parents were divorced, I wanted for little. Growing up in a small town, it was instilled in me at a young age that you work for what you want in life and you have to get the job done a little better than the guy next to you to keep your job. Because of those exact values I found myself employed for the first time at an after school job at the age of 15. In the economy I grew up in it was common for high school students to work as servers, ice cream shop attendants, pizza delivery drivers, and grocery baggers. I have been employed, read that as paid taxes, since the year 2000.
I went through a 4 year program at a university that excelled in producing employable candidates for my major. Even though I worked 40+ hours, most of which were 10pm - 8am so I could attend university classes, I still had to take out a considerable amount in loans. Although I had a high GPA, I couldn't always take the time needed to complete the applications and essays for the big scholarships, as most of my extra time was in extracurricular school based activities, or working. The extra my parents had put away for my college costs did not come close to covering the almost 200% increase in tuition that I found myself immersed in. But that did not deter me. I was reassured that taking out loans to further my education would pay off in the end as I would have a degree, and I could then get a better job than those without. I felt as if I was making a fine decision because I was paying what I could in tuition, and compared to others my loan amounts were small.
Something else happened while I was in school for my undergrad, I married my high school sweetheart before he left on a tour to Iraq. He joined the Military September 12, 2001, but his paperwork states his enlistment date as September 11, 2001. In the midst of what we now commonly refer to as September 11 all of the recruiting stations closed on that date in 2001. Had they been open, my now husband would have signed his name on the line that very day. In 2004 his unit was needed in Iraq, and he was proud to go over. Two weeks before we married and his deployment date, I had been diagnosed with a chronic blood disorder. I was in college, so I was diagnosed while under my parent's insurance, United Health Care. I would require weekly doctor visits, numerous blood work, steroids, shots, and a lot more to try and get my health back to par. As soon as United Health Care learned of me being married they kicked me to the curb, leaving me to fight through the process of TriCare Military Insurance. I will remind you I was a young woman going to university, with no intentions of moving to a military base. I had to drive 70+ miles to the closest military approved doctor, and for a while that was a weekly occurrence. I say only for a while because when they found out I had been pre-diagnosed with a disorder I was receiving treatment for, I became uninsurable. I was refused any help.
As it turned out, the job I was working to help pay the bills did offer United Health Care, and I soon learned they had to provide me with a plan as I had been diagnosed while under their "care". But representative after representative not so kindly reminded me that my lifetime balance had already started, at the ripe old age of 21. I had no options or choices in health care, and United Health Care could do what they wanted because I was with them, or I was without. For my last two years in college my paychecks were at times negative because I was paying for a health insurance plan while being employed as a server.
During my senior year there was a lot of talk among my professors about how hard it was becoming to get a teaching job in Michigan. They could see the state start to hold back on its education budget, and they were the first to warn me of changes they felt were coming. Because of the forewarning, I looked at other states for employment. I was able to sign a contract as an elementary school teacher in Atlanta in January of 2007. I was not lucky enough to land a job in a school that would help pay off my student loans, but I felt the salary on my contract would more than cover those expenses. My husband and I spent everything we had to make the life changing move to Georgia. I consider the economy dropping off point the year of 2007. As first year teachers all went to their teacher mailboxes and received the news they were not being offered a contract, I signed my contract for another year. I had been saved by a six month window.
Hard times have been plentiful in the last 7 years. Health issues, military trouble, furloughs, insurance claims that have gone unanswered, and the like have rained over our small family. Don't get me wrong, there have been great times too. As we traveled through the past few years we have made good financial decisions. We created and stayed within a budget. We don't live beyond our means. We have never had any credit card debt. The house that we reside in is not more than we could handle. We pay our bills on time. But now let me get to the point where I find myself today.
Today I am 30 year old teacher, who has a Masters in her field. I have worked at the same school for the past 8 school years. I do not have anything in my savings account, and that is not from a lack of trying. See, the teaching contract that I once thought would be more than enough to cover our expenses is actually less today than the day I signed it 8 years ago. In the past 8 years, it is true I have kept my job and for that I am thankful. But the district that I work for has had to downsize as is a common story all around. Teachers were not given contracts, schools were closed, and class sizes have been raised. Our contract days were increased, but I have not received an increase of step pay, or cost of living in 7 years. I have been furloughed at least 4 days each year for the past 5 years. I am working for the same pay I was expected to live on 7 years ago, but the world does not have the same costs as it did in 2007. Gas is almost $2 more a gallon, groceries have increased, insurance has almost doubled in cost and now covers less. About every three months my paycheck is $200 less due to a furlough. With the government shut down there is a chance my husband's reserve unit won't have drill, which would leave us about $200 short again this month. As a government employee I am living pay check to pay check. I have medical bills that I have no choice but to pay, as I am stuck in an insurance plan that resents me for becoming sick. I pay almost 48% of my monthly income to student loans that were supposed to help me achieve my American Dream.
I know you must work hard for your dream. I can assure you I am working hard. I am thankful for a job, a house, and I am generally happy in life. So, Congress, I am here to invite you to come and live a day in my life. To follow our budget, to work my hours, eat my lunch, and complete my daily tasks. I know you have a lot of people to represent, but I am left wondering if when you show up to work on getting the people who are furloughed right now back to work, if you are really thinking about the "us" out there. Because, I have to be honest. I don't think I am that different from the majority of the 30 somethings out there. We were placed in the economy at a bad time, and we are doing what we can to make the best of it. I am left wondering are you? Are you really doing what is best for the majority of us in what is called middle class? Do you really know what it is like on a daily, or weekly basis? Is your goal to help my generation? I am a voter, and do vote, but I just feel like no one in Washington is really thinking about the people your decisions are impacting. Because let's be honest, this shut down isn't affecting you.
In closing, I would be happy to support your decision, even have your back in the media, to take one day away from the bargaining table to come and spend the time with me. And by me, I mean the average American.
Thank you for your consideration,
Someone who believes government is not working for "me"
No comments:
Post a Comment